Friday, March 27, 2015

I have to work?

Horror of horrors, I have to work an extra day this week.  On a Friday.  On a Spring Break.

I'm too old for this shit.

I was able to put most of the product away yesterday -- it's amazing how over 15K retail worth of product can just blend in the store as if it never arrived.  I mean, it was just basic restock.  What happens is that I just start seeing all the things we don't have. 

I really have to be patient with people.  It's hard.  A couple of times I blurted, "geez, people, don't anyone read books anymore?" in a mild voice, but no one took offense, heh.

Tons of people coming in.  I'm really pleased that Cameron and Matt seem to be gaining some new, younger customers.  These customers seem surprised to see me -- like, "who the hell are you?"

Had a Secret Shopper report, which was mostly positive.

Weirdly, and I couldn't tell if this was on purpose or just an observation, but the three "negatives" were all things I do on purpose.

No TV.  Yes, I think having a TV is a bad idea.

No gaming tables.  I have no room or inclination and personally believe it detracts from the shopping experience.

No "New" comics section.  I tried this for awhile and thought it hindered, not helped, sales.  The "new" comics face forward, usually on the front shelves, and shouldn't be that hard for anyone who is serious about finding a title from finding it.  Plus they can always ask.  The inability for a "newbie" such as self-confessed non-comic secret shopper to find a particular comic is more a feature of the fact that there are so many damn comics than the design of the store.

Besides, I'm pretty sure people buy more comics when the new comics are mixed with the old.

So none of the apparent negatives were negative in my opinion.  Other than that, the report was very positive. 

I'm glad to have Cameron and Matt being the face of the store.  I have a much harder time faking friendliness if I don't actually feel it.  For instance, I know I should give out a cheery "Thanks for Coming In!" when non-customers leave, but I can't do it.  I just smile, sometimes nod, but that's about it.

I love my store, and I really think people are all right, but I can't put on a false persona as much any more.

Ah, well.  That's why I'm stepping back and letting younger, friskier people take the stage.

No comments: