Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Making progress.

It isn't coming easy, but it's coming.

Tuskers III is more a crafted book than one of those books that just come spilling out. That doesn't mean it isn't as good.  There is something to be said for craftmanship, rather than inspiration.  Things tend to be slightly better thought out.

They're just more work.  The writing isn't quite as smooth the first time, usually I have to spend a fair amount of time rewriting, and rearranging.  But as long as I'm making progress, as long as I'm putting the pieces together, it's fine.

I've mentioned before, I'm hoping after I've done all the necessary work on Faerylander and the other two Lander books, and finish Tuskers III, that I can then stick to books that come easy. The magical books, where the story just appears in my head and writes itself.

I'm not saying they're better or worse, but they take half as long to get there, and are more pleasant to write.

The thing I don't know is -- will these ideas come in a timely manner?  Tuskers came over me.  Then The Last Fedora came over me.  But I don't know if I can depend on that happening, and if it doesn't, then I'll need to write something nevertheless.   A planned and plotted book, most likely set in one of the existing worlds.  Nothing wrong with that, I'd just prefer the "magical" books, if possible, you know? 

Can  you blame me?

No comments: