Sunday, March 1, 2015

It's a book!

Crossed the 40K mark yesterday, which means The Last Fedora is a book, even if I were to just write one last lame chapter.  But it's going well.  I like everything about it so far.

Yesterday I had to contemplate the final 20% of the story, which basically means writing the penultimate section and then the climatic section.  So I had to think it through.

I went back and added a chapter in the middle of the book where I more or less explain where the Golems came from and how they fell into the hands of Gangsters. Amazingly, I was able to find some valid historical reasons.  Which is so cool.  Amazingly, it all fit the book so far (a few adjustments) and will make the ending possible.

Then I had to go back and develop an animus between one of the secondary good guy characters and the main bad guy, so that Jacob, the Golem in the title, has a good motivation to bring the book to a close.

It all fits like it was meant to be.

The feeling that engenders is worth everything.  I love it.  It feels like I've found a dusty manuscript in a library that already exists, and is fun to read.  

No comments: