Saturday, March 7, 2015

Bullshit manufactured fake conflict or drama not justified by the story or characters presented.

The latest episode of Agents of Shield was shite.  You know things have gone wrong when characters just start yelling at each other for no apparent reason and completely out of character, and or cry about something that has zero emotional resonance.

Sad.  I guess I'm in the minority over preferring the lighter, spoofier first half of the first season to this overwrought and totally unconvincing melodrama.  Just as I prefer Flash to Green Arrow. Unfortunately, it looks like Flash is following Green Arrow's formula more and more.

Gotham is hit or miss, but I'm enjoying it.  A couple of great characters in the lead and Penguin.

I never could watch Supernatural, cause that seemed to be the blueprint.  I think it's all very calculated.  Must have screaming match, must have crying session.  Never mind if the story actually warrants it.

Agent Carter was fun.  Maybe it was because the lead actress was British, but she was very convincing as a 1940's character.

I've tried to watch Green Arrow three or four times now, and...no thanks.  I don't buy any of the motivations.

Second worse kind of show:  Quirky, unconvincing characters and lame banter.

Bones, NCIS, all CSI's except the first seasons of Las Vegas, etc. etc.  Almost all network programs.

Except The Good Wife. This one is the real deal.  Real drama, really clever banter, totally believable characters acting as they would act.

We watch Castle, which is totally formulaic.  Comfort food.  Nathan Fillion has charm to spare.

Linda and I saw Jupiter Ascending yesterday.  It was flat, emotionally.  I'm betting because this story was manufactured, not felt.  You can always tell when the writer is telling a story from the heart, and when they are telling it from the head.  I liked it better than the reviews. 


Temporarily between writing books, so have time for consuming movies and TV and books.  Reading the lastest Lee Child, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, and James Lee Burke in quick succession.

I'm trying not to be too conscious of the writing, which is pretty perfunctory these days for these authors.  Just light reading.

No comments: