Saturday, March 14, 2015

Timeline problems.


I tend to discover the plot by writing it.  When I wing it, I tend to have timeline problems that could have been avoided by a little outlining in advance.

But trying to outline usually means not writing, so I really don't have much choice.

Anyway, with Tuskers III, the beginning of the book kind of jumps around.

I want to start the book from the viewpoint of Barry, the main character of the first book and a very important character in the second book.  I want to bring in his wife, Jenny, and do a small recap of what's happened in the first two books.  This all feels right.

However the second chapter, with the Tusker Napoleon, actually takes place two or three days before.

Then I jump back to Barry, a day after the first chapter, but still a day before the events in the Tusker chapter.

Then back to Napoleon.  Now on the day of the first chapter.

I can clearly label the chapters, I suppose, though that always seems kind of lame.  Kind of like:

Two Days Before Z-Day.  -- Barry

Three Days Before Z-Day. -- Napoleon

One Day Before Z-Day. -- Barry

Two Days Before Z-Day. -- Napoleon

Or I could put them in sequential order.  Problem is, the book doesn't read right in sequential order.  It's more important that it read right than the timeline be in order, in my opinion.  I'm not sure there is any way around it.

Going to just write the book and see how it reads at the end.

Went out the Badlands again yesterday.  I have a little route I take, about a five mile walk.  I love it when I'm alone.  When it was sunny a few days ago, I ran into two other groups of people -- which makes it hard for me to concentrate.  (I also talk to myself as I'm walking, working out plot details.)  I generally spend about 4 or 5 hours out there, and I usually manage to get my word quota in.

Yesterday, it was cloudy and just the right temperature. Apparently the clouds were enough to keep people away.

I tried to plug my power cord into the laptop last night and there was just enough grit in there to keep it from connecting.  I managed to blow out enough of the grit to make it work, but barely.  Obviously, I've got to find a way to protect that. 

You can't go out into the Badlands, you can't walk off the road, and you certainly can't sit down -- without accumulating dust.  Dust is the price you pay...



No comments: