Saturday, May 25, 2013

They're hungry. They're cold. Have I mentioned they're hungry and cold?

I seem to have run out of steam on the story, which is unusual these days.  Didn't write at all yesterday, for the first time in a long time on a day off.  My son Todd was home so that was somewhat distracting, but not really an excuse.

Anyway, I'm finding it very hard to write the "Cold" and "Starving" chapters.

Hey, they're hungry.  Hey, they're cold.  Hey, have I mentioned theyre hungry and cold?

I thought I could just have a narrative, but it may be that I'll have to concoct some incidents and scenes.

Which points up the fact that this is the first book in a long time where I've allowed myself straight narrative, without detailing individual scenes every time.  There is something very liberating and hypnotic about a few pages of Then they did This -- Then they did That. Kind of a purposeful breaking of the rule, Show don't Tell.

Well, I have to whole day to myself, so I'm going to see if my sub-conscious can come up with anything.  Can't believe it's been letting me down for a few days...

No comments: