Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rolling right along.

Looks like a disrupted day.

Going to an appointment in the morning, then maybe to a movie.

So I'm going to find out if I can write at the end of a busy day or not.

*****

Got a little writing in before we left.

I'm not going to be able to stick to the historical facts and timeline completely.  Even in the first chapter, I have James Reed's escape over the mountain happening after the werewolves have already started feeding, whereas in real life it would have had to happen before.

I'll try to stick to the timeline as often as possible, but I think the story comes first.

Fortunately, I'm getting many of my ideas for the plot from the original events -- so much of it will parallel what really happened.  It's just the the arc of events was very drawn out and confusing and duplicating and anti-climactic, that I've got to impose more of a story over that.

*****

Went to see Iron Man.  Fun movie, but I keep thinking these movies would be better with less.  They are so overthetop action that it's hard to enjoy them completely.

*****

Came home and wrote the rest of the fourth chapter, so that was something to learn -- that I can have a semi-busy day and still get my chapter done.  Next experiment, to see if I can do some writing tomorrow night after working at the store.  I haven't really tried that since I came back to writing, but I've got a good head of steam worked up and I'd like to see if anything comes.

*****

One of my three viewpoint characters (not counting the werewolves) is a 13 year old girl and I'm wondering how I dare to try write that.  But...it doesn't seem that hard.  I remember being a naive 13 year old boy and it seems like if I reverse that, and use a little imagination, it can get done.

It's almost harder to write the father, James Reed, who is what I call an "adult".  Serious and authoritative and domineering.  Never been that.

The third character, Stanton, is more of a stand-in for me, I think.  A businessman and outsider.

Another couple of chapters of foreboding and impending disaster, and then the rest of the book should be mostly action, which always seems easier to write.  I do want to create an icky atmosphere of dread and doom, much like the feeling I got reading ALIVE or other books about cannibalism.  So there may be a bit more narrative of them getting hungrier and more irrational and frightened.

But I want to set the werewolves into action as soon as possible.

The whole idea is to make this straightforward and fast and hopefully not boring at any point.  These lead up chapters I'm writing now are the most in danger of not being sufficiently engaging, but I'm hoping I can create a sense of suspense because the reader knows what's coming.

No comments: