Saturday, September 19, 2009

Reading is not a group activity!

Yet another person has walked in the door asking for a book they know nothing about.

"Is it fiction or non-fiction?"

"I don't know...."

"You don't know?

"It's for a book club."

So the only reason they are buying the book is because everyone else is buying a book?

You know... that's been bugging me for awhile now.

READING IS NOT A GROUP ACTIVITY!

Nor is reading having some other guy -- an actor usually, giving you all the emphasis and the nuance and the inflections of a story when they read it to you. I want that author's voice for my own. I don't want it filtered by someone else!

READING IS NOT A GROUP ACTIVITY!

O.K. O.K. I'm just kidding. I do actually understand why people listen to books. And I do see why people want to discuss the same book with each other.

So really, I get it.

But it's not for me.

No comments: