Monday, March 2, 2009

It's all timing.




I was looking at the accompanying graph, from Calculated Risk, when something occurred to me.

Each time I was looking for a job, it was at the beginning or middle of a recession. Early 1970's, mid-1970's, and early 1980's.

Great timing.

I remember there being no job listings at the employment bureau, very few classified ad listings.

I was a lousy interview, and no one seemed to value the skills I did have.

No wonder I became self-employed, and no wonder I tried so hard to hang onto my business.

2 comments:

tim said...

Did it ever occur to you that maybe it wasn't a coincidence that you happened to be looking for jobs during recessions? :-)

Duncan McGeary said...

I know, you know, right?

But it happened between schooling, first right after high school, then after my first try at college, and then after graduation...

So it was bad timing.