Monday, July 6, 2009

No more putting off summer....

Day to day. Yesterday, Sunday, was another 4 hour day. I had about 20% less people than Saturday, and made 6 times more money again.

The lesson, I think, is to close the store on the 4th of July from now on. It was a complete waste of time.

Back on track for my daily average.

I think my diagnosis is right -- tons of product + tons of foot-traffic = average sales.

I spent my maximum budget for July by the first of the month, or halfway through the time period allowed. Well, to be honest, I spent over the original maximum and then spent the revised maximum. (I boosted the budget when I saw the 'Summer Sale' from my wholesaler.)

But no harm done if I reach my daily average, and I can avoid another week of spending money. (I made it through last week.) That is one of the gold stars I give myself every day I don't spend money.

One thing I would like to avoid is spending any of the next month's budget before the period starts. No borrowing a few hundred. That's cheating, even if it evens out in the end. It puts the next month at a disadvantage and I'd like the find out if I can keep a steady flow coming in under budget.

If I take the "Sale" product out of the equation, I was under my original budget. And it's just hard to kick myself over getting material at half the original price. It doesn't always show up in the short-run results, but I think it definitely helps the bottom line in the long run.

Sorry, but this summer is pretty much going to be a horserace, and my attention will be on that.

2 comments:

backwardselvis said...

Dunc,

Saw an article where as the "Big Box" stores leave, they are turning into "Big Blight" buildings. Thought you would like that one.

Duncan McGeary said...

I think we'll be able to use them as Zombie containers....