Saturday, May 9, 2009

"Too stupid to quit, too mean to die!"

Slave Labor Comics slogan.

One thing I haven't been very good about, is checking out the local competition. I tell myself it only matters what I do ---- not what they do.

But really, walking in a competitors store has always felt a bit uncomfortable. Like walking into an Old West bar, where everyone falls deathly quiet and turns and stares at you as you sashay up to the bar and order a 'sarsaparilla.'

WOW, I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE.

I did visit Third Millennium enough to realize I had totally underestimated the Goth material. The best selling title for a few years after that in my store was, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, followed by the rest of Johnen Vasquez (Creator of Invader Zim) material; Squee, I Feel Sick, Filler Bunny.

THE LITTLE GUYS KEEP GOING OUT OF BUSINESS, DAMMIT!

I used to buy these titles from an independent distributer called Cold Cut, but they went out of business a few years ago. I then ordered it from my main distributer, Diamond comics.

Problem is: I haven't be able to get the individual issues of JTHM and Squee for quite a while now, and yesterday, I couldn't even get the main JTHM book.

WTF?

HOW COME YOU DON'T HAVE IT? I CAN'T GET IT ANYWHERE ELSE!

There has been a bit of controversy in the Comic World because Diamond, which has a near monopoly on distribution, has started to limit which titles they'll distribute. Personally, I believe because of that 'monopoly' label they have a duty to be as open to new material as possible.

But it's a business decision, and it's hard to argue with that.

Anyway, I just couldn't see being without the Vasquez material forever, so I contacted the publisher, Slave Labor. Turns out they're starting a small distribution company, Big Kahuna Comics, for independents.

O.K. DARN YOU, I'LL BUY IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!

I'm all for it. It means adding another company to buy from, but really I've had it easy. Diamond has so much material, that I could go strictly with them if I wanted, and it probably wouldn't have much impact on my bottom line.

But, I like supporting the little guys. Sometimes, they have a couple of titles that I can't get otherwise. It's just a matter of fitting it into my budget. With summer coming, I want to order a bit more, so I'm going to make one of my periodic forays into the independent distributors; Bud Plant (sells retail, but has enough bargains to make an order); Last Gasp, the last of the 'underground' distributors; and Big Kahuna Comic Dist. As well as one of my semi-annual orders of standups.

WHO ARE YOU AGAIN?

Much as I want to support the little guys, I can usually only make an order once in a long while. They often have forgotten me by then. I sometimes have forgotten my passwords and the procedures, which makes me not want to order.

However, In the current economy, I do believe the indy distributors are less likely to get snippy with me. None of that, "Who the hell are you and why haven't you ordered from us in two years?"

A VERITABLE CORNUCOPIA.

Here's the problem. I feel overwhelmed. The great books being offered by all three of these distributors could eat up my budget in one fell swoop. If I want to be honest with myself, I haven't ordered from these guys for awhile because they are a temptation. Like being on a diet and walking into a restaurant. Or being on the wagon and walking into a bar.

It's hard to restrain myself.

Fortunately, it's the weekend and I have time to get my bearings. By Monday, I may have talked myself off the ledge.

2 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

If I turn that slogan around, it wouldn't be stealing, would it?

"Too mean to quit, too stupid to die!"

tim said...

Back when Ramen Noodles were an exotic food that you could only find in specialty stores, I talked my mom into buying a box of imported stuff from China (it was crazy--dried bricks of noodles, but with herbs and sometimes a fly or two inside). The translated slogan was compelling:

Eat To Live. Live to Eat.