Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bloggin' for fun or profit.

I was asked the other day if I thought this blog had helped my business.

I muttered something about having as many doors open to business as possible, and left it at that.

So I've been mulling it over for a couple of days.

My vague answer still stands. Like having the much increased foot traffic in my corner of downtown, like having the 2 new product lines that represent 25% of current sales, this blog has been part of the puzzle of keeping the store viable in down times.

I mean, if I'm down 20% in sales, what would it have been like without the above three factors?

Of course, I never set out to make it a business blog. Probably wouldn't have worked, because it would have been too blatant a grab for attention.

But now? I think I've learned enough about how to do this, what issues to address, that I could probably at least transform my 'Pegasus Blog' into something readable, that talks about my store, and comics and books, does reviews, and talks about stuff happening.

But my inclination is to talk about other things. The bubble economy-- which no doubt bores plenty of readers. Local government, which bores those who are left. Quails nests (my son's friend's visiting dogs ate them, sadly), the weather, my cat, my little trips with Linda, the occasional politics, anything else that strikes my fancy.

So, a focused business blog would be too much work. Writing reviews is way too much work.

Tossing off observations? That's easy.

I've also made no attempt to gussy up this blog in any way. It could be much more visually interesting. Nor have I made any tit for tat connections to other blogs, you read my blog if I read yours, you list my blog if I list yours...type of arrangements.

By keeping it mostly local, my readership is always going to be pretty small. That's fine with me. Who needs the pressure?

I like that the occasional new customer finds me through this blog, and that older customers remember that I exist because of this blog, that friends and family can occasionally check in to see how I'm doing.

The blog has been a huge success in getting my business noticed by the local media. For which I'm grateful. I think I became a real person to some people who either didn't know about me, or thought I was only about comics....

It's also been great for venting steam, occasionally. It's probably been a great tool for a nerdy individual like me to communicate with others. It's at least felt very social, in a strange way.

So has the blog helped business?

Probably, though it's hard to quantify.

Has it helped me?

Most definitely.

8 comments:

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

Hi Duncan! I've been a lurker of your blog for a while now, and have really enjoyed your perspective of life in central Oregon.

Blogs do help business! I maintain two for our business, and we have gotten quite a few people buy from us that said they found us via one of our blogs. Our blogs are:

http://www.grizzlymountainarts.com
http://gooddirtjewelry.blogspot.com

I don't see any "tags" with your blog post. If you use those with every post that you write (it's the blank spot in the lower right hand corner when you are composing), it will help you appear higher up in internet searches. You could use tags such as "comic books", "Bend" and "Oregon" as well as any other relevant key words from each post.

Happy blogging! :)

Jo

Ten Bears said...

Don't know if it'll help, but per our conversation earlier this week, you are now the first "Bendite" on my blogroll. Let me know if think others may be deserving.

O'Owlish Ameneh
(Ten Bears)

Duncan McGeary said...

Grizzly,

You are so, so right! I forget it every time. I did it for awhile a year or two ago, and I think my traffic really jumped.

I've never paid much attention to traffic building, though I'd hate to think that no one is reading. I have a sitemeter, but it would really throw me, so I quit looking at it. (Yes, Tim, I haven't looked once since I said I wouldn't....)

But...from here on out. I added tags to the last 10 entries or so...

Thanks for reminding me.

Duncan McGeary said...

Tom,

It was good talking to you. I want to update my blogroll on my Pegasus site, plus find some tag I can stick on the Best Min. to direct people there.

For those of you who don't know, Homeless on the High Desert is written from the perspective of another long time Bend native.

In fact, we would've graduated from Bend High at the same time if he hadn't gone off to other things.

We middle aged native Bendite cranks need to stick together.

Owen said...

Hi Duncan, nice post as usual--I have a blog but have not been able to be regular with it. As my transition to being self-employed settles in, I hope to update on a regular basis. You can check it out if you are interested, http://handmademugs.blogspot.com/.
I have had wonderful success, however, by using twitter. I'm amazed at the power of this little tool. Generated lots of local sales but also just landed a huge order for a local conference - the organizer (in Salem) asked the membership who they might recommend for mugs, and from a friendship I've made on twitter (I still have not met this person) I got the recommendation and the order. Have a good one, Owen

Duncan McGeary said...

I've noticed your twittering.

I'm having a hard time getting into the twittering thing.

I check them out every day, but most of it's a bit garbled for me.

But I don't discount the significance....

I remember saying to people, "Why would anyone read blogs? That's no more interesting than listening to a conversation on a street corner...."

Either I was wrong, or the conversations on street corners are more interesting than I thought.

Owen said...

Yes, twitter is odd and takes a bit to get used to. I try not to spend more than 10 minutes a day on it...it is interesting to create a short message to get your point across. Eventually I'll get my blog going on a regular basis - I do enjoy writing, and it'll be a lot of fun.

Broofa said...

Duncan, excellent post. As a fairly experienced blogger I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about the pros and cons of blogging.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you talk about how unquantifiable the benefits of a blog are. From a business perspective, the biggest value is the intangible connection it helps you build with customers. For example, I'm not much of a comic book fan - I am unlikely to spend much money at your store right now (sorry!) - but my 2-month old son will surely go through a comic book phase at some point if for no other reason than that comics are what set me down the path to being an avid reader, and I expect nothing less for him. So come that day when it's time to open that world for him, there is little doubt as to which store I'll be going to for that. Thus, where this reader is concerned, the future value of this blog to you may be upwards of "hundreds of dollars."

However, I think anyone who sets out to blog for the sole purpose of generating business is likely to be disappointed. It is a time consuming endeavor. You really need to take more away from it than hoping for a small bump in your bottom line. This is where the personal benefits you alude to come in. Blogging has been immensely valuable to me as a way of honing not only my vocabulary, but also my analytical and rhetorical skills. It's rather sobering to realize that it's taken me forty-(*mumble*) years to master(?) the english language, my least favorite subject in school. I've finally come to really, truely, enjoy the act and process of writing.

There is a tangible difference between a blog written by someone who is passionate about the craft of blogging, and someone who is simply in it for the money. The former, like this blog, is much, much more engaging.

Cheers!