Thursday, May 7, 2009

Product as Wallpaper.

I'm about to claim the last two half-walls for product. Regulars probably don't believe I have any space left.

I literally will have Wall to Wall product.

I'm not totally happy in a design sense over filling every inch of the store. But I discovered a number of years ago that 'design' for 'design' sake may be satisfying in an artistic sense, but doesn't really pay. I have found the more product I have, the more I sell.

For every person who is overwhelmed by the visuals and feel of the store, there is another who is more likely to unlock his wallet. It's a trade-off, made necessary by only having 1000 sq. ft.

I could easily, easily fill a space five times bigger and still seem stuffed. Making wonderfully designed displays and putting more product face out, I could probably fill a space 8 to 10 times bigger.

I've tried, in a weird way, to make the overwhelming product a design of its own. Its own artistic statement. Creative juxtapositions, color and design patterns, neat rows and stacks.

Sometime in the next ten years, I'd love to create my vision of a 'superstore.' I have it all mapped out. I'm pretty sure I could make it work. But I'd probably only get it to profitability and then need to sell it.

If I was ten years younger, there would be no question. If I had 25k I could simply blow, there would be no question. Now, with a POS computer, it would be feasible. I'd still need that dependable right hand employee, which is always the biggest challenge, but....I'd go for it.

I'd use Linda's used books model for about 1/3rd the store, put in new books with my philosophy of new book selling, to take up half. The other half would be comics, cards, games and toys.

It probably wouldn't be all that more profitable than the current store, and it would entail a huge amount of risk -- but, oh my, it would be a wonder to behold.

I need to start buying a lottery ticket on the way home every night...

Anyone feel like buying the Boomtown building for me?

*********

What's necessitating the covering of the last two walls is that there are some mammoth sales going on, especially by Marvel. I mean, I can't pass them up. The margin is so good, that I can basically put half in storage and still come out better than normal.

I guess this is where the advantage of actually having positive cash-flow works to my advantage in a downturn.

**********

A downturn which I still haven't figured out. I had my worst non-Sunday of the year on Tuesday, followed by a Wednesday ten times better. That plus the great Friday and Saturday means I'm a full 20% ahead of my goals, despite having one of my worst days in the first week.

Summer's almost here. I'm not expecting much, but I'm at least hoping business won't fall from current levels...

No comments: