Saturday, May 16, 2009

Inoculation.

Bendbubble2 has a rather harsh assessment of the Pegasus experience...but I'm not going to argue the point, except to say that just about anyone else would have done the same thing I did.

Paul-doh says, as follows:

"Dunc is a perfect encapsulization of Bend:

* Buys first store at True Rock Bottom Price.
* Does surprisingly well. Thinks it is personal genius, not cresting wave of fad.
* Expands in short order. 4-5 stores
* Fad implodes.
* Stores implode.
* Hanging by fingernails. For 20 years."



I call it the Peter Principle of Small Business -- that owners will expand to their level of incompetence.

But I would point out that it wasn't all retreat. I sold the mall store, and I was able to double the size of the downtown store while all this was going on.

They say that in war, a well-ordered retreat is much more difficult to pull off than an advance. I think being able to extricate myself from all the other stores was one of my major accomplishments.

I also need to point out, that as miserable as some of those 20 years were, we did come out the other side with a Pegasus Books that is giving me a living, and which is still fun to do. And we were able to apply all our lessons to opening the Bookmark, which is doing even better.

On the other hand, I made other major mistakes besides opening four stores on the strength of a baseball card fad. I made an almost equally large mistake with comics -- they sort of changed the rules in the middle of the game but that's what bubbles tend to do -- and went backward with card games and non-sports cards, as well.

On the other hand, I handled four other fads rather well: the Shaq basketball fad, beanie babies, pogs, and pokemon. In fact, I often say I pitched a no-hit ballgame with pogs.

So it is possible to learn from one's mistakes.

I would go even further. I had the fortunate experience of inoculating myself from the biggest bubble of all: the housing boom in Bend.

Most people, most businesses, suffer only one huge bubble in their lifetimes. Because the pain of it lingers through living memory. Most people, and most businesses don't even get to learn from their mistakes, because it really only happens once, and it's usually enough to wipe out the true believers.

So....as painful as my little fad busts were, they prepared me for what's going on now.

4 comments:

tim said...

"the Shaq basketball fad"

Um, OK, enlighten me. What the heck is that and what did it have to do with your business? To me, Shaq is just the guy who kept breaking backboards. Not nearly the "big deal" that Michael Jordan was.

Duncan McGeary said...

Tim,

My sports card bubble ran from 1985 to 1990. By 1991, I was eating vast quantities of unsold sports cards, and feeling huge pressures on price (basically, in order to sell cards I would've had to sell at a loss.)

In the midst of this disaster, I started getting people in asking if I had the Shaq rookie card.

It's hard to remember what a big deal Shaq was.

Because of the way it worked out, his real rookie cards didn't show up until the second half of the season, so a great deal of interest and anticipation built up.

I ordered very heavily -- which looking back means I had some balls back then -- and sold so much that it pulled me out of the hole I was in.

It wasn't necessary to lower prices, in fact, I could even charge more than retail -- and because I'd just had a year where the 'regulars' were yelling at me for 'overcharging' while I was bleeding money, I went ahead and charged it.

By the end of that 6 or 8 months I'd made enough money, and been able to adjust my orders enough, that I survived a very dire situation.

Of course, sports cards have declined every year since, but I was able to slowly retract from my dependence on them (85%!) until sometime around 1997 I found myself able to say without wincing, "I'm not a sports cards shop. I'm a shop that carries sports cards."

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm talking about the 1992 season, by the way.

tim said...

Ah, OK. I had no idea.