Wednesday, April 29, 2009

good news, bad news

The good news is, there is parking on the street in front of my store.

The bad news is, why the hell is that?

*****

The good news is, my estimates two years ago of where the economy would be weren't all that far off.

The bad news is, you guessed it, my estmates weren't all that far off.

******

The good news is, tourists don't know how crazy Bend got. They just think we're like everywhere else.

The bad news is, they still aren't spending much.

*****

Good news, people are roaming around looking for bargains.

Bad news, I don't much want my carcass picked clean by vultures.

*****

Good news, my wholesalers have lots of bargains right now.

Bad news, things aren't selling fast enough for me to make room for all them.

*****

Good news, I'm getting huge shipments of product in.

Bad news, my UPS driver hates me.

*****

Good news, I've got my Point of Sale system in.

The bad news is, it's sitting in six unopened boxes for the near future.

*****

Good news, rents have moderated downtown.

Bad news, they haven't moderated enough to match the proportions of down.

*****

Good news, new restaurants opening downtown.

Bad news, many rumors of stores on the way out...

*****

Good news, I was 12% above my estimates this month.

Bad news, I went and spent the extra.

*****

Good news, a bunch of cool pop-culture movies are opening!

Bad news, they have almost zero effect on sales.

*****

The good news, I'm the best stocked I've ever been in my entire career, with the fewest spot shortages.

The bad news, Just why is that?

*****

Good news, I've blogged every day for almost 2.5 years.

Bad news, I have enough time on my hands to blog every day.

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

The recent crappy weather might have something to do with the paucity of shoppers. I've been downtown on a couple of recent sunny days when I had to circle the block a few times to find a parking space, just like the old days.

Anonymous said...

Clever post, Duncan.

tim said...

Should we maybe place bets on the Bulletin's Cessna headline?

geosue said...

The good news is that your sister Sue is reading your blog. The bad news is that your sister Sue is reading your blog, especially the one bashing American Idol. Hah! Two can play this game, my evil brother. American pop culture rules!! Can 100 million Americans be wrong? Love ya bro.

Unknown said...

Yes.