Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Everything you need to know about Spinach.

Finally won a game of Settlers of Catan, last night. I tried the same strategy next game, and failed. I love how the setup is never the same.

**********

Blew my budget all to hell, yesterday. Started ordering off the lists, and it seemed like I was close to getting everything I needed. Big order of games, big order of books, huge order of graphic novels.

At the end of the day, I'd pretty much spent my entire budget.

A budget where you spend the entire amount in the first two weeks is really no budget at all.

But, wow is my store stocked.

**********

Can Star Trek and Star Wars co-exist, side by side? I'm breaking out the Star Trek novels and making room on the Star Wars racks....

**********

Unadjusted unemployment rate, is 17%. As I always say, I think it's particularly worse than than that in Bend because of the peculiar demographics....

**********

Nice article in the Bulletin today, on Spinach.

7 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

Just a small mistake in the article. We started the Bookmark from scratch, instead of buying it.

Other than that, I'll let it speak for itself.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Nice write-up, Dunc.

One thing struck me, though. They asked if you could have a second home anywhere in the world, where would it be?

You answered: Brookings.

Not Paris, not Provence, not Tuscany, not Hawaii, not the Costa del Sol.

Brookings.

You really do need to get out more, man. And by that I mean out of Oregon. There's a whole wonderful world beyond the state line.

Duncan McGeary said...

Well, you know, I was thinking in the realm of reality.

But, still....the redwoods, the mountains, the ocean, lots to explore in this lifetime.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Well, you know, I was thinking in the realm of reality."

The way the question was framed it seemed like an invitation to indulge in fantasy -- i.e., if you had the ability (including the financial resources) to have a second home anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Given that invitation, I could name approximately 12,457 other places before I got down to Brookings.

But de gustibus non est disputandum, as they say. You're obviously an Oregonian through and through, dyed in the wool.

Bewert said...

Dunc, we are getting rid of a couple hundred books. Would Linda like to pick through them, or should I just take them to Goodwill?

Duncan McGeary said...

Take a bag or box at a time to her store, for credit. (Don't tell her you're leaving....)

Then in a day or two, another bag or box. And so on....

Or take them to goodwill.

Doug at Open Book would pick through them, and give back some that you could give to goodwill.

Not sure how he is about buying these days...

Or you can drop them off at my store, and I'll find a home for them....

H. Bruce Miller said...

Bewert: Please don't take them to Goodwill, which is a mega-corporation masquerading as a "charity." Give them to a local charity thrift store-- St. Vincent's or the Humane Society, for instance.