Thursday, May 29, 2008

Weather argument.

Having a bit of a weather argument over on Bendbubble2, which I'll reproduce below. I'd love to know what others think.

A statistic might tell us if it was a 'cloudy' day; but it might not tell us it was a slightly 'darker' day; or that the clouds hung around for 4.5 hours, instead of 3.6 hours. In other words, a lot of this probably comes down to perception.

Anon: said,

Duncan's blog: "This cold and wet for Central Oregon really is unusual."

No, it isn't. This spring has been a little colder and wetter than usual, but cold and wet springs are the norm here. We often see more sunshine in February than in May. I've been here more than 20 years and know what I'm talking about.

But cheer up -- we should start getting some decent weather by early July.

To which I answered:

No, I disagree. I've lived here for 55 years, and I don't remember a year when we had only one week of real sunshine through May. This is unusual.

Maybe I'm using a rough 'gardener's' measure. But I've always had several weeks worth of gardening under my belt by now, maybe a month and a half worth since February. (Yes, it seems like there was often a warm February period to start clearing refuse.) Then usually a spring week or two in March, a week or two in April, and much of May.

I don't think there's been more than about 10 days I've been able to garden without the temperature being under 50 and or wet.

I don't think stats will prove much one way or the other. There is the de facto time spent in the garden.

That's my measure.

My Mom, Libby McGeary, used to own Mint Hill Gardens in the west hills. I worked for her every spring for years.

Her selling period was nearly over by this time -- maybe one more month.

This weather wouldn't have stopped her. But it might have stopped her customers.

Meanwhile, I've only had to water a couple of times, and have yet to mow my lawn. That ain't normal, not for me.

Anyone else want to chime in? Perceptions can be tricky. But...the steady frequency of the clouds, and the moisture, and the lower temperatures....maybe that isn't reflected in the statistics, either.

Sorry about playing the oldtimers card. But I'm curious if this is just my perception.

You know who would know? Nurseries and landscapers; but I doubt any of them would be willing to say.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got back from Yosemite Valley where an 86 year-old gentleman who was in a nearby campsite claimed that he had never experienced such bad (rain & cold) weather in 80 straight years of camping in Yosemite Valley over Memorial Day weekends. Oh well, it sounds like I didn't miss much by not being in Bend the last 10 days.

Leitmotiv said...

According to Jim Anderson (featured in the Source), one possibility for the peculiar weather is the recent activity of volcanic eruptions, which in turn are making it more cloudier and colder.

Unknown said...

ask any local golf course superintendent and they will tell you this is unusual weather...

Carl said...

Rather than volcanos, it is my impression that this spring is just a continuation of the La Nina conditions we had during winter.

But maybe someone can order up our share of global warming that has been lost in tranist.