Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cha,.cha....cha...Changes......

I feel as though every muscle in my body did 50 sit-ups yesterday. My lower back, has stiffened to the consistency of particle board. I went back to work last night and finished off the last 5 bookcases in preparation for todays switch. Good thing, too, because I was there till midnight again.

I didn't realize what a huge favor my wife had been doing me by making the other 8 shelves. The first one took me an hour, and was a botched job. The second one took me half an hour, but also wasn't pretty. It ended up taking me an average of 45 minutes per case. That, plus the eight trips transporting completed cases and boxes, which was about half an hour each, means I spent about 14 hours just wrestling with bookcases.

I'm hoping that the changeover will go smoothly. I decided that rather than try to move one massive bookcase I'm replacing, I would just take a hammer to it. Take it apart. It's 30 years old, and I doubt it will hold up under another move anyway.

By tomorrow, the basic outline will be complete. That actual stocking is almost as important to the actual look, and that is a more day to day process. So, by around this time next month, the store should look the way I want it to.

I'm also hoping everything fits. I've measured and tried to visualize, but sometimes the actual results just look so wrong, that I have to change it. There's even a possibility of 2 more bookcases, but that's being optimistic on the high side, and usually I have to actually do less than I planned, not more.

The whole point is the streamline the look and flow of the store, and I don't want to wreck that by trying too hard to fit more cases in.

I know I'll be glad when I'm finished. I just don't have the zest for changes that I used to have. But I think if you see a way to dramatically improve your stores look with minimal cost and you don't do it, it may be time to quit. I'm not there yet.

No comments: