Thursday, May 29, 2008

Soggy mess.

My Bulletin came as a big soggy mess this morning, and I forgot to snag a Source on my way home. I'm bereft of blogger fodder. This cold and wet for Central Oregon really is unusual. To add to the never rains but it pours; I'm almost feeling sorry for real estate agents trying to sell houses in the peak selling season this year.

I fertilized my lawn a couple of weeks ago, and it's about 8 inches high now. My lawn is infested with daisies, which apparently 'weed and feed' doesn't kill. I probably just ought to start all over. Repair bills are starting to pile up. We need a backyard lawn, a new front yard lawn, a new sprinkler system, a new roof, and a new lower bathroom. The joys of home ownership.

Comics are coming in on Thursday this week, because of the Memorial Day Monday.

Because of the cost of shipping, I only order the life-sized standups a couple, three times a year. But I always make the offer to people who ask for a particular figure I don't have; "If you buy it now, I'll make my order this week." Hardly anyone ever takes me up on it. Standups are like the ultimate impulse item. Anyway, a big Indiana Jones fan finally paid me yesterday, so I'm ordering a batch of stand-ups for summer. I'm almost completely out of the Star Wars characters. I probably overstocked on Pirate Johnny Depp and Dress floating Marilyn Monroe and Middle-aged John Wayne figures last time. I'm torn between a wider variety of one each like I've mostly done over the years -- and then more reorders -- or ordering larger quantities of characters most in demand.

As Summer approaches, and as May was such a good month, it's become almost impossible to stick to the old budget. The new summer budget may have to start a couple weeks early. Or.....I can just try, try, try to switch my brain off until June 16th. Just sent a huge check off to my credit card -- another check that big and I'm debt free for summer. I've got to try to knuckle down. But, for example, that stand-up order is over and above. I can try to take it out of the summer budget, but by then the pressures for something else will have developed. It's just a constant struggle to hold back.

Rick, who is really into the statues -- he repaints them and re-envisions them -- looked at my Venom life sized bust and said, "That would look really cool with a blood red tongue (it's sort of pinkish) and some dripping. But.....I'm too busy." Bastard.

2 comments:

tim said...

My brother has the Barry Gibb/Barbra Streisand stand-up from "Guilty." I'd pay for one of those. That's the one I remember from record stores in my youth.

Otherwise, only Bondage Princess Leia appeals to me.

Anonymous said...

Could you try Xeriscaping instead of an irrigated lawn?