Saturday, May 31, 2008

Too far?

This new organization of books has given me a chance to integrate graphics and books even more than before.  Now, I wonder if I've gone too far.

Two comments:  One by a guy who said, "I know your secret plan -- you are turning into a bookstore."

Second comment:  "I've walked by here for years and didn't know you had comics."

Now, I'd known that I had fewer and fewer indications of comics in the windows, but I always figured the comic people would know.  I always figured that walkersby would just keep walking if they saw comics.  I was trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Unfortunately, apparently people have a hard time with the yellow pages, or don't think to google comics.

I've always had a certain flow from Calvin and Hobbes, to Edward Gorey, to Persepolis, to Watchman.  I'd sneak the occasion graphic novel into the novels and so on.

So now I'm really trying to integrate it all, more by subject than by form.

And I think I'm too far ahead of the curve.  Maybe years ahead of the curve.

I can get away with it because of the tourist traffic.  But I probably need to stop about where I'm at.

Maybe even put some comics in the window.

2 comments:

tim said...

For a long time after I moved to Bend, I had no idea Pegasus Books was a comic store.

If the name had been "Pegasus Comics" I think I would have caught on.

tim said...

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention that I never know your store hours. You should try searching Google for "Pegasus Books Bend Oregon" and see how tough it is to find your hours (and don't say "phone book"--I don't know anyone who uses a phone book anymore).

You often say, "we're open the usual hours this weekend," which makes the situation even more frustrating.

You should post your hours in your twitter feed sometimes, at least. Or put it somewhere on your blog, because the blog shows up high in Google.