Sunday, May 4, 2008

Small Price to Pay

Guy comes in looking for the newest Beckett (sports card price guide.) Can't figure out why he can't find one. So I inform him that Beckett has changed the format, and I guide him to the right spot. Inside baseball knowledge, so to speak. Something that would've probably taken him a long, long time to figure out on his own.

So I say to him, like I often do, "Hey, buy a box from us sometime."

"Oh, no. You are overpriced."

"Oh?"

"Yes, your Fleer basketball is four dollars more than Shopko." (39.99 vs. 36.00)

So there you go. A four dollar difference in price, and world of difference in perspective.

4 comments:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...


So there you go. A four dollar difference in price, and world of difference in perspective


Gas prices should be The Great Leveler on stuff like that. It'll cost them over $4 to get out to Shop-ko.

Ed Perkins said...

I agree with Bubbleburster. A smart buyer takes into account the cost of gasoline, the extra time it takes to shop at some place that's less convenient, the delay in getting the product if the big store's out of what you want or if you buy online, and other factors. Usually one's better off buying locally if the prices for the same product aren't wildly different. I've bought from Pegasus when I could have paid less for the same thing on the internet. Convenience, getting the product immediately, and getting a review of item from you before I bought were more important to me than the $3 to $5 more I had to pay than if I'd shopped at Amazon.

Jason said...

Four dollars?!? Oh noes! Why, if he bought from you, he'd have to give up on getting himself that package of -socks- he's been eyeballing all year.

Jason said...

... actually, come to think of it, you probably can't even get a pair of socks for four dollars anymore. That makes him look even worse.