Thursday, May 8, 2008

Shifting the dollars.

Oh, Bulletin. Is there no end to your quirky little ways?

Front page of the business section, reports that car dealership sales have "shifted." From trucks and SUV's to smaller cars.

That's like saying that my sales have "shifted" from graphic novels to comics. From boxes of sports cards to packs. From statues to toys. Fine. But if you read the article, it's clear that their overall sales are -- dare I say it? -- down, down, down.

There is a reason the car market has pushed the big trucks and SUV's all these years -- because they make a whole lot more money from them.

From now on, though, I'm not going to say my sales are down, only that they've shifted. I'm not gaining weight anymore, I'm redistributing the pounds. I'm not getting older, I'm processing. I'm not spending money, I'm just moving it to another place.

**********************************************************************

Sounds like they came to their senses about the parking lots, and are going after the actual offenders, not the general public.

Must be an election year.

I do have a suggestion, one that I've made to anyone who would listen: give the employees their own lot at minimal fees -- no more than 25.00 a month, and 10.00 or 15.00 would be better -- but make it the second to the top floor of the parking garage. Even better, FREE parking just a block or so off city center.

45.00 a month is a lot for a half-time, minimum wage earner -- close to 10% of their take-home pay. We need to figure out a way to make it easy. Otherwise, they'll just keep playing parking tag. Even if that is foolish, and costs them way more money in the end.

*************************************************************************

1 comment:

Duncan McGeary said...

Both comments are slightly unfair. But being snarky is just more fun. Call it poetic license....