Monday, October 15, 2007

Well, our taxes are done. Let's just say I don't have to change the title of my blog.

Linda did quite a bit better. And I can tell myself that her store wouldn't have been possible without my store. Sigh.

It comes down to the fact that I just don't spend money. I know people say that, but I really mean it. I brown bag it every day. Eating out less than once a month, more likely to be fast food than an actual sit down restaurant. Movies, occasionally. Clothing once a year, a couple pairs of pants, a shirt or two, which last half a decade. A 1990 Toyota Corolla, which I don't have to fill with gas more than once a month, or so.

Fortunately, I don't feel deprived. I have all the books and comics a man could want. Cable hook-up and internet. Walks in the woods. Long drives.

Linda pays for the occasional trips (new this year) and long drives and most of the other incidental stuff. I pay the mortgage, bought when houses were still reasonable, and insurances. That's it.

It's the best minimum wage job a middle aged guy ever had.

2 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

I suppose it's kind of pathetic for a 55 year old guy making minimum wage.

But I don't FEEL like I'm making minimum wage. I feel totally middle-class.

I love the phrase 'making a virtue of necessity.' I just am not into conspicuous consumption. I've often wanted to be even more zen. An empty room with a bamboo matt, kind of thing....

When I played with the idea of a big screen T.V. last year, I asked Linda when was the last time she could remember me buying anything. Neither of us could come up with anything.

We have about as good a regular T.V. as is possible. So what if it is 10 years old or more?

Anyway.

The real problem with a 'life-style' business that I see, is what do you do when you retire?

Basically, you CAN'T retire. So you better damn well like it.

But even if I was making more money, I wouldn't be spending it. I'd be trying to sock it away.

Anonymous said...

We have about as good a regular T.V. as is possible. So what if it is 10 years old or more?

*

Dunc the old tv's were built to last forever, all the new tv's, and especially the big flat screeen plasma or projection today cost $2k or more, and will not last more than three years.

Within two years they're always worth less that $200, and you cannot get service for that.

A modern tv is like owning a modern car, you'll have to get used to getting a new one every 3-5 years.