Monday, October 8, 2007

Did my taxes over the weekend. I just throw every receipt into a box, then once a year lay them out on the living room floor, add it all up, and go see my accountant. Went in to see Gary this morning, and as usual, feel this huge sense of relief that it's done.

For the past 4 years, my wife has been going in with me. With her taxes, all neatly accounted in rows from her laptop computer. Turns out, she a better business person than me. Turns out, she makes better money than me.

Last year, apparently, she went into the accountant's office and proclaimed, "I don't want to do this catching up thing anymore. I want to pay estimated taxes."

So, surprise, surprise, we are probably caught up on taxes for the first time in my 24 year career.

I asked her if she wants to take over my business, too.

5 comments:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Turns out, she makes better money than me.

Wow, really? I just suspected that she was probably getting gouged by the landlord, plus the fact that Used Bookstore Gulch over there, just seemed to grind up the participants. That and she seems to go more head-to-head with B&N... although I haven't been to her shop in awhile....

Is she the last one standing on that stretch?

Duncan McGeary said...

Well, the whole thing came together. It wasn't luck, but it was luck that the opportunity came along.

She has resisted spending money the way I do.

The Open Book is still there, the Paperback Exchange is gone. But more an more people seem to find us with every month.

Some people just like used bookstores.

Duncan McGeary said...

Rents are just a fact of life. You just have to take it.

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Rents are just a fact of life. You just have to take it.

Not is the fantastical World of On-Line Commerce! Champagne wishes & Caviar Dreams, BABY!

Jason said...

"Some people just like used bookstores."

I know I do ...