Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Starting to get the occasional day like today that remind me of the old days.

Had a customer return a used paperback because 2.00 was too much. I couldn't help but mutter..., "But it's only two dollars....!"

I guess I could throw away those old books like most bookstores do. Because if I have to get .17 cents for a .35 book, I just don't have a room.

A book of poetry, by Alexander Pope.

Most people don't object when I say, I have a minimum of a dollar. Because any less than that, and I would have to discard it. I would have no choice. Because I have no end of 8.00 cover price mysteries and S.F. and romance and fiction to put out. I just can't see not letting someone get a book of poetry by a classic author for a dollar....or, gasp, even two!

I raised the price to 3.00 and put it back. Classic Laurel Edition. I'm sure it's actually worth more. But I'd really like someone to read it.

Odds are, I'll sell it to the next interested customer. And even better odds that today's customer never does read a book of poetry by Alexander Pope.

What I'm trying to say, is that he wasn't looking at the chance to buy a poetry book for 2.00, which I'm pretty sure he would have to look long and hard to find another, he just saw the original .35 price and thought I should sell it to him for .17, I guess. Not to mention not having any realization that I simply couldn't have a bookstore in downtown Bend if I sold books for less than 1.00.

It only happens about once a year, but I'm always surprised when it does.

When Linda and I first opened the Bookmark, we were really concerned that we would get an avalanche of old, tired books. But it really hasn't happened, and the only explanation I have is that those old 60's, 70's, 80's paperbacks have already been weeded out, and discarded.

A shame really, because a copy of the Great Gatsby published in 1970 for a couple of dollars is just as readable as a 12.00 copy today. But bookstores run into customers like the above and say the hell with it and chuck it into the trash.

Linda has her " Knock-About Books" section, for .50 each, and she has a saying;

"They're well experienced, they've been around the block a few times, they know how to be read."

Unfortunately, my square footage is so dear downtown, I can't afford to do that.

Like I said, it's only the rare person who won't pay 1.00 or 2.00; but they always leave me flummoxed.

2 comments:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Have a NO RETURN policy on stuff under $5. Make sure you remind these wankers that they've probably expended more gas money to return the book than they paid.

Jason said...

How cheap are people, anyway? Returning a book that cost them so little? I know I've been pretty poor lately, but even I wouldn't do that.