Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jacoby Ellsbury. Had a couple of guys from Madras come in and ask for a Jacoby Ellsbury baseball card. I very knowledgeably told them that -- starting in 2006,-- a baseball player can't have a rookie card until they are actually a rookie, but to look online.

After they left, I looked it up on the internet. Looks like Ellsbury had a card in a few of the 2005 Updates sets, that is, he got in before the rule change.

I have two full boxes of Topps Updates, for 99.99. And one box of Topps Chrone for 119.99. Unfortunately, I can't figure out any way to extract Ellsbury without charging ten times the book value.

I've noticed that his prices have pretty much doubled overnight, even nationwide. He made a bit too big of a splash for a local dealer like me to buy a bunch and turn around and sell them for a bit more.

So, I'll be pointing Ellsbury rookie card seekers toward my unopened boxes, but telling them they might do better online.


Meanwhile, am I the only guy who's getting sick of Jerry Seinfield and the Bee Movie? He's been so relentless, I'm going to boycott the damn thing.


Most of this year's new shows have dropped off my viewing list. Chuck is O.K., but already becoming a formula. Pushing Daisies is almost too cute; Linda likes it, so we'll keep watching. The one show I've adopted is a show I hadn't even thought about until I stumbled across it: Life. I'm also getting a kick out of C.S.I. New York Weird this year, but still can't stomach C.S.I. Bikini. Dropping Criminal Minds altogether. Smallville makes me squirm, it's gotten so bad.

Keeping Heroes, C.S.I Quirky Vegas, (but not watching Vegas or C.S.I. Navy light), and was disappointed in Viva Laughlin, but a moot point) watching the Amazing Mrs. ....what's it...on Masterpiece Theater. Waiting for Battlestar Galactica and Lost.

Every year I worry there'll be too many new good shows, every year they solve the problem by cancelling the shows I like. (Love seeing Kristen Bell on Heroes, but wish more people had watched Veronica Mars....)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are definitely not the only person sick of the Bee Movie stuff, and those little promotional BTV things are extra annoying..I'll probably watch it on DVD eventually, but any thoughts I had of seeing it in the theater are gone. It can't be good if they have to promote it so heavily!

dkgoodman said...

Ditto on Bee Movie. Wonder how long until there's an "A Movie".

I can't stop chuckling while watching Life. It's great having a dash of philosophy and quirkiness in any mix. We miss all the F-bombs the actress who plays the captain used to spew on Deadwood, though.

Another new show we like is The Big Bang Theory. Probably because I empathize. :)

Duncan McGeary said...

Oh, and House. Soooo realistic in it s medicine and even moooore realistic in its hospital administration, but I don't care. I just like the way the character is portrayed.

Yeah, Life has just enough quirk, and I like the female partner quite a bit.

Is Big Bang Theory the sitcom with nerds? Seems to catch me when I pass by, but I just don't watch sitcoms.