Saturday, February 4, 2012

Writing in stages.

This is the first time I've written a book in distinct stages.

Before it was just a big mess. All seven early books were a hodgepodge of effort. Rewriting early chapters, adding on, rewriting again, changing everything, tacking on the last chapters, rearranging, rewriting, adding.

I've been very careful to do it differently this time.

The first draft is the brainstorming draft. Getting the plot down. Adding elements as I go along without actually rewriting anything. Some chapters come full blown, others are kind of threadbare.

The second draft has been trying to fit all the pieces together, make them consistent, and concentrating on continuity. Also trying to flesh up parts that needed it, and cutting down parts as needed. Trying to smooth out the rough patches.

I'm not sure how the third draft is going to go, and until now, I don't think I ever thought I'd even considered a fourth draft. But...if it isn't good enough, probably best I give it a little time and try again.

I'm noticing that the latter half of the book gets less attention than the first half, so I'm going to try to trick myself and write the next draft starting halfway through the book, so I burn all the early energy on the second half for once.

No comments: