Thursday, February 9, 2012

Nothing should surprise me.

As I mentioned this morning, the Comings and Goings lists in downtown Bend have narrowed the gap. (For the first few years, there were quite a few more businesses opening than closing--the froth from the boom, I believe.)

Meanwhile, the school district seem to be leveling off in growth, even dropping.

Even our big thinkers on the city council seem to be finally focusing on current infrastructure instead of pie-in-the-sky schemes.

We seem to be in that place I've noticed before in downturns, where the actual conditions on the ground continue to flatten, while all the talk is of growth and recovery.

Don't know if this is a Bend thing, or just represents a phase of the cycle.

Meanwhile, I'm not impressed with the 25 billion mortgage act. I think the Dirksen maxim of "A billion here, a billion there -- pretty soon you're talking about real money." needs to be updated to "A trillion here, a trillion there -- "

Seems like a drop in the bucket when it comes to the magnitude of the problem. The banks are still getting off light.

According to RDC, none of this should surprise me. In fact, nothing should surprise me. Why the hell am I writing this blog anyways? It's all gonna happen, you should know that!

1 comment:

RDC said...

Actually the actions taken by retail companies should not be surprising.

Over generalizing apparently is not surprising to you.