Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dear Editor.

This is what I'm going to put on the front of the manuscript:


Dear friends,

I'm serious about wanting as much criticism as you can manage to do.

Except the "YOU SUCK!" variety. You know, try to keep it constructive, at least.

Editing and spelling are fine, but I would also urge additions and subtractions. Just take a red pen and have at it. There are enough words here that if you think something should be cut, say so, if you think something needs more, say so.

I'd rather too much critique than too little.

I can work with what people suggest -- On the other hand, a blank page is a blank page.

Suggesting wholesale changes to the plot are O.K, though I'm not sure I'd be ready to do an entire revamping of the thing. Completely changing the plot is a huge can of worms. So try to offer suggestions that improve what's there, within reason.

I think I'm pretty good about accepting people's critique -- I've spent 32 years in a writer's group, though the writer's group isn't brutal, they can still tell me what I don't want to hear sometimes.

The goal is to make the book better. Whether it's a good book in the end, or a mediocre book or a bad book, anything that makes it better than it is, is my goal.

Thanks for looking, and if it just seems too hard or too much, please return the manuscript promptly and I promise you I won't take it wrong -- I totally understand. I'd be the same way. :).

But please don't hang on the manuscript if you don't intend to do anything and give me a chance to lasso someone else to the task, O.K.? If you are going to actually read and comment, try to do so within the month. Otherwise, go ahead and give it back.

Someday soon this will be available for others to read, and I appreciate any help you can give me, guys, so they'll find it enjoyable, hopefully.

Thanks for helping.

Duncan.

No comments: