Thursday, February 23, 2012

The usual doubts.

I admit, I'm feeling somewhat discouraged.

Do other writers have such doubts? I wonder. They probably wouldn't write if they didn't have a pretty big ego.

Anyway, all I can see is the weakness of the writing, right now. I mean, it's probably no worse than what I wrote years ago and which got published. But...I don't know, it's hard.

What does it take to write a good book?

I was thinking about a rough formula last night.

Talent+Work+Time (+Help.)

Talent, of course. Work, making the effort to do it. Time, giving yourself enough perspective to improve it. Help, this is a bonus if you can get it; editorial help.

So if the novel takes, say, a minimum of a 100 points to be good, how to apportion the different aspects?

Talent+Work+Time. (+Help).

Off hand, I'm going to say Talent is 50% minimum. That's what you start with, and without it, it's pretty hard to get to 100. But, let's say you're supremely talented and it gets you 80% of the way, and a little work and time and editorial help, and you're easily over the 100%. These are the really talented people.

I suppose there are guys out there who can only get say 40% of the way, and make up for it by taking a long time to Work on it. They really work at it, learn their craft, make up for the lessor talent through hard work. They take the time, the years, to learn how to get it done.

And there are people who have such a great concept, or outlines of a story, that they get a large percentage of Help. Their efforts are reinforced because they start strong. For me, this is a recipe for writer's block: waiting around for the killer idea.

Mostly, I think, these days you don't really get that editorial boost unless you are already an established writer -- one of those whose talent takes them 80% of the way.

My own abilities? I'm going to say middling, in the 50% range. I'm willing and able to put another 25 or 30% effort into getting it done, which still leaves me 20% short.

I think this is about where I was years ago. Probably had a bit less craft, and put in a bit more work, but ended up in a similar place. The books got published, I think, because they were timely.

That feels about where I'm at right now.

So what's left? How can I push myself that 20% to get over the line?

Editorial Help and Time, unless I get a talent transfusion. The time element really just means giving myself more time to Work on it. The time to get some inspiration. Some new perspective, some kind of trick to improve it.

I can count on the time, if I give it to myself. So I've decided to do that. I had already given myself a year, but a good third of that was wasted -- it wasn't until my Baker City trip about 4 months in that I got serious. I was hoping to be done by June, but I'll give myself more than that if I need to.

In both the editorial help and time, I guess I'm hoping for inspiration, some method that I can utilize to energize my book.

Editorial help? We'll see. But even if I get a boost from that, it's best not to expect to that to happen again and again. If it's hard work for me, and I'm the guy benefiting, I can't expect other people to do it for me. I know that people will often volunteer, without really realizing what they're in for.

Really, in the end, the writer is responsible for the book.

I'm deep enough in this book that I'll produce it, eventually. I'm want to bridge as much of the gap between the book as it is now and the book I envision, before I let it go.

8 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

I know there are those who say you should never express doubts about your own abilities, but I have no patience for that.

I've seen too many supremely confident business owners drive their businesses off a cliff. I've seen too many writers showing up at writers group thinking they were Hemingway and reading the worst stuff ever and leaving in a huff when we don't bow to them.

One of the great things about getting my books published was that it didn't matter how much confidence I had or didn't have or what other people thought.

To books spoke for themselves, in a meritocracy, of sorts.

So, I think having doubts is what makes you try harder, you know?

Anonymous said...

Move along,....

I think the book model is much like the ghost town of Bend.

Sure you can write, but sell to whom?

In asia where they have all the money, all 'content' is free, nobody accepts intellectual property rights. Ideas are free no matter the form.

You can't OWN an idea, ... much to the demise of the West, but just maybe this is why the the USA has died, because of capitalism itself?

So go ahead and write about business, and books, but remember that the vast majority of the world moves on while Bend and the USA dies in rotten smelly shit.

Now gas is $6/gal across the country at the pumps, ... civil war coming soon to the god damn parasite US public.

Anonymous said...

Writing takes years, why not tell people how to write dunc??

Rather than blister about how many nimrod's try to write, ... but go back and read your bile at 20 years of age, ...

Most writers, just had to write, and get as much feedback as possible, .. and finally they develop their style and attain a following,..

With regards to making money from writing?? That's much a fools game, your more likely to to be picked to be a team leader of the Blazers basketball team than you are to be a book-star.

Anonymous said...

Success is Survival we have said this all along here, now going for what 5+ years maybe 7??

Your a success dunc your still alive, ... perhaps your best writing years are already Bend-OVER(TM).

Whose to say? I don't hear much from Stephen King anymore, ... he's not as productive,

You seem to be forcing your self, ... but as you know you got to have PASSION, .... #1 is PASSION, you got to have fire and love for something, ... maybe in reality, you & linda need a super long vacation, and just maybe you can figure out what is important, and find that fire.

Not certain that this writing thing really makes you 'happy' anymore? Just saying, ...

Hemingway was most productive when young, then drove himself to death with alcoholism and gunpowder. Only the 'good' die young, those that live to be old,...

Like they used to say when I was a kid, "Better to have been a has been, than a has not",
Maybe its time that you slow down the forced writing, and sitting in the store and you and linda get out there and see the world, ... and runaway from Bend for awhile, ...

Anonymous said...

Buster has kids??

*

"I don't hear much from Stephen King anymore"

Me either. We used to talk all the time...

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I've seen too many supremely confident business owners drive their businesses off a cliff. I've seen too many writers showing up at writers group thinking they were Hemingway and reading the worst stuff ever and leaving in a huff when we don't bow to them."

I highly recommend reading Barbara Ehrenreich's "Bright-Sided," an examination of the weird cult of "positivity" in America and the damage it has done -- and continues to do.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"You can't OWN an idea, ... much to the demise of the West, but just maybe this is why the the USA has died, because of capitalism itself?"

Without patents, trademarks and copyright laws, where's the incentive to create anything? You think scientists, writers, musicians, etc. are just gonna create great stuff out of pure altruism and share it with everybody gratis?

The reason all that shit is free in Asia is because it was STOLEN.

"Now gas is $6/gal across the country at the pumps, ... civil war coming soon to the god damn parasite US public."

Yawn. I've been hearing you predict the imminent demise of the US for at least six years, Buster.

BTW gas is $3.64 a gallon (national average) not $6. But then when have you ever let facts get in the way of your opinions?

Anonymous said...

Don't know where to start HBM, ... maybe you know about the 'google bubble', maybe we have different reality's when we search "6$ gas",

Maybe somebody here to teach the old hbm about the 'google bubble', he'll not listen to me.

I never said the world is coming to an end, nor do I talk about tin-foil hat's.

What I said is that much of the USA is now paying $6/gallon and that will cause 'whitey' fits.

End of the world? I think both me & you long ago agreed that EXPENSIVE USA gas is good for the environment. For too long the USA public paid nothing for its stolen oil ( if you discount the blood of arab children )