Sunday, August 28, 2011

Unsolvable problems.

I do go on about digital, heh?

But what if there isn't a solution? What if there is only wreckage?

It's possible a solution may arrive eventually, after much time and damage.

I was thinking about the great science fiction series by Isaac Asimov: 'Foundation." It's set in a time where it is clear to the historians of the day that the mighty galactic empire they are living in is about to fall. The conceit of this series is they believe they can plan for this by harboring knowledge and experts. (Ah, faith in experts.) They hope to shorten the resulting 1000 years of Dark Ages.

Things go wrong, of course.

I actually have no doubts that when it all shakes out, there were be a way to get the news, to read a book, to listen to music, and to pay for it all. It's just that I can't imagine in advance how that is going to happen.

I watched a show on C-Span yesterday that was talking about newspapers and how they are between a rock and hard place and NO ONE has really figured out how to solve the problem of paying for foreign news bureaus and expert reporters and political coverage and all that unsexy stuff.

I'm not blind to the possibility that comic shops, or bookstores, may become rare. I'm pretty sure that I can extend my career to the end. I don't think we have to rush it, which I think the book publishers and comic publishers are unwisely doing.

I don't look to automobiles versus horse and carriages as an analogy. I look more toward radio; which was once a creative, thriving venue for original material; and is now a corporatized, soul-less, machine/robot, mass market lowest common denominator unlistenable to me platform. But it exists, and it makes money, and a few radio stations manage to defy the odds and play some good music.

Something will emerge from the Dark Ages.

I just which we could figure out a way to bridge the gap.

7 comments:

Leitmotiv said...

Your next transition will be into vintage pop culture. In other words, you will deal in what once was.

Anonymous said...

Duncan, not sure if you tune in to KPOV, Bend's community radio station. They have just gone full power, at 88.9 FM and I think you will enjoy the great local programming (fantastic music shows, talk shows, etc.)
For those of you who are not local you can listen to the stream at www.kpov.org
This station is what radio was meant to be. Their tagline is "by the people, for the people." No corporate sponsors, just a bunch of good folk who care about the community.

Luke Zwanziger said...

Hey Duncan, Luke here from Eastern Oregon, the writer of EZRA. Read an interesting article from Warren Ellis concerning digital issues being treated as MP3's. Which is interesting. I would mean that story structure may change if publishers realize it.

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=13192

Duncan McGeary said...

Hey, Luke, glad to have met you. I started reading your comic and very much enjoyed it.

There just aren't enough supernatural westerns -- or westerns, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

No love for KPOV, Dunc?

Duncan McGeary said...

"No love for KPOV?"

I'm meaning to check it out. I just have stopped turning on the radio -- even OPR and NPR.

Anonymous said...

Ok, let us know what you think. The thing I really like about this station is that they allow anyone who wants to host a radio show the ability to do it. There is a wide spectrum of music programming as well as talk radio shows and latino programming. And, best of all, they have support from local sponsors and members - no corporate money with strings attached to it. I don't listen all the time, but I have my favorite shows and listen to them regularly. In full disclosure, the company I work for is an underwriter to KPOV. We do it not only to increase our sales but more importantly to support an increasing rarity in our society, an outlet for free speech and respect for all views.