Monday, August 29, 2011

Misery loves company.

It may not be a conscious decision, but it feels to me like the Bulletin has taken on a different slant toward the economic slowdown since declaring bankruptcy. They seem to be much more upfront about it; even playing it up slightly.

An article about corporate type people starting their own businesses was headlined as a "nightmare." The original article in the N.Y. Times a few days before, while saying that it was a surprise to these new entrepreneurs how hard they had to work, and how little money they made -- was mostly a positive slant.

(By the way, every new business should understand those two concepts: working harder for less money...)

I don't know. It's just an impression. It's an understandable need to show that it's not just the Bulletin, that bad times are everywhere.

Misery loves company.

At the same time, they still spout conservative views on the editorial page -- which seems somewhat contradictory. (You know, the idea that times are tough and people might just need some help, governmental or otherwise is more a liberal viewpoint -- while the Bulletin's natural stance would be -- touch luck, don't ask for help, it's your own damn fault.)

**********

Going to be a fair amount of commentary on digital this week, with the new DC initiative. Justice League #1 is coming in this week.

But I think that digital thing is going to take a very long time to play out -- not weeks, not even months, but years...

I'm a bit more concerned about the immediate impact of the difficulty in ordering correct numbers of these new titles.

They are NEW. Which means they don't have a track record. I got a bunch of new signups, which is good, right? Except that I'm committed to those titles -- legally and financially --- while my customers can more or less take them or leave them.

No matter what I do, I'm pretty much guaranteed to have either underordered or overordered, you know? On one hand, I don't want to sell out -- on the other hand, I'd really like to sell out (maybe have one left, two or three on the bigger titles?) So the temptation is to overorder, usually, if what you hate to hear is "Is this ALL you got?"

I thought I was being pretty conservative, but my DC orders more or less doubled. (Originally, they went up by 2 and a half times, but I've shaved them a tad.) These have to be paid for within the week.

I'm not worried about my store -- I'm pretty solid right now. But I know that for much of my career, that would have been a gamble and a cash-flow risk.

On one hand, I'm hoping that I and all my brethren ordered enough copies to make the venture a success --- and on the other hand, I'm worried that if the whole thing is a dud we'll be sitting on stacks of comics for months, even if we can return some of them in the end.

The unintended consequence is that I've had to be even more careful than normal in ordering non-essential comics -- which means, if everyone did as I did, all the other publishers are going to take a hit.

So far, I'm glad DC did it. I think it's going to be a boost for a few months, at least. But change is risky.

**********






7 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"At the same time, they still spout conservative views on the editorial page -- which seems somewhat contradictory."

Not really. The Chandler family is wealthy and they have always been Republicans, although Bob was a moderate Republican and would have been infuriated by know-nothings like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann and Rick Perry.

Duncan McGeary said...

My point wasn't very clear -- and on reflection, probably not all that valid.

I guess what I was thinking was that they might want to be more sympathetic to the less fortunate -- but of course, that doesn't follow at all.

Anonymous said...

The BULL only exists to sell ad space to advertisers.

Shoppers only spend on feel-good basis, doom&gloom never sells crap, and thus its in nobodys interest.

Nobody in bend can handle the truth, there is a violent discontent, or I should say malcontent.

Even in bars 1-2 years ago RE was off the table discussion, same in the valley.

All this said the number of Ex-Pats escaping to asia is mind boggling. Vietnam now has 25% inflation.

While in Bend, probably the main reason I pissed with you boyz was because all subjects were on the table. Because in Bend most subjects other than biking, running and smiling or shopping or off the table.

Anonymous said...

bond sales have ground to a halt in Europe, with August poised to end without a single offering as the sovereign debt crisis drives borrowing costs up by 40 percent.

*

key words here are 'ground to a halt', its amazing how folks in USA can be kept glued to tube for non-events like the weather

Anonymous said...

Perry is clever, Palin did work her way to governor, and bachmann is smart.

Like they say, politickians are those who excelled in elem school recess socializing.

Forest Gump stupidity rules in the USA, rather than picking on these people hbm, why not ridicule the fools who elected perry & palin & bachmann in the first place?

These are bright people, like RAYGUN who played dumb, which was bright. Like Bachmanns plea to drill for oil in everglades, if nothing else, she softens up the debate so that anything is possible.

A WALMART nation of TV watching morons. Who believe in GAWD, cuz you all got to pray, cuz your in a world of shit, of your own making.

USA hates smart people. Probably why FOX viewers despise OREO. I don't hate the polytickians I hate the voters. Hate is a strong word, but nothing else comes to mind when I think about the vile ameriKKKan people.

Anonymous said...

What would a good candidate even look like?

Probably Spitzer comes to mind as a good man, but taken out because he wanted to take the banksters to the woodshed.

Good men, can't possibly win in the USA. Also the media loves moronic sound bites, thus smart poly-tickians say stupid shit to be in the media 24/7.

Winning an election in my mind is 99% name recognition, keep your name in people minds and your name will be checked on the ballot. Winning an election is a fools game.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Because in Bend most subjects other than biking, running and smiling or shopping [are] off the table."

HA! True dat.

It's also permissible to talk about skiing and snowboarding in season.