Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A man is what he reads.

"More than 24" golf courses in Central Oregon. (Bulletin, 8/30/11).

Five bookstores.

24 versus 5

Says a lot about our values. And our politics. And our economy.

**********

"Hasta la vegan..." Linda said. "No, wait....that isn't right...."

"Yes, it is! It is totally right. Arnold hates vegetarians. Hasta la vegan, baby. Blam!"


You probably had to be there...

**********

The Bulletin editorializes that "parents shouldn't speculate" about the Redmond principal's suspension.

But the paper then proceeds to have two front page articles doing exactly that.

**********

After deleting a large book order last week, I've had a couple of slow days. Which is like a warning to me that we are headed into the fall season and watch out. So I'm going to be extra conservative in my spending over the next couple weeks. (Isn't that what causes recessions....?)

**********

President Chaney has released a book.

**********

10.00 coffee? Time to wean myself from caffeine again...

**********

I have a kind of routine browsing the net in the morning.

First I check the new sites to see if the world ended overnight. USA Today, Huffington Post, KTVZ, etc. (This is just a quick check, later in the day I read some articles.)

Then I check my e-mail and the local blogs through Bend Blogs.

Then I go to sites that are related to my business -- Diamond Comics, Comics Reporter, The Beat, Shelf Awareness, ICv2, Comic Book Industry Alliance, etc.

Then a quick check of the pop culture sites; Flavorwire, Rotten Tomatoes, Salon, Slate. (Again, I go back throughout the day to read articles.)

And finally, when I'm sufficiently awake, I read the economic blogs: Naked Capitalism, Big Picture, and Calculated Risk. Mostly, the first two; sometimes a bunch of other less favorite.

Meanwhile, during all this, I'm drinking four or five cups of coffee (that's it for the day) and reading The Bulletin, and composing this blog.

I don't actually go looking for new sites, but occasionally will drop or add a favorite.

Now you know everything there is to know about me.

9 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Five bookstores actually seems like quite a lot for a town this size.

Duncan McGeary said...

I almost said that.

Yeah, we have lots of bookstores per capita.

But even more golf courses...

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many of the golf courses are profitable. Most were built as loss leaders to sell homes. Most have changed ownership several times. While they provide manicured open space, they are noisy with the constant mowing. The Destination Resort (Read: subdivision outside the UGB) development code all but insures the open space will be a golf course.

More sad is the Obama admin is in court defending the actions of Cheney and friends. Fortunately many judges are not buying the "States Secrets" defense and letting the cases proceed.

H. Bruce Miller said...

I think the Bulletin editorial is saying the school district should come clean on the reason for the suspension of Lemos instead of letting the rumors fly. But it doesn't say that very clearly.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Now you know everything there is to know about me"... Except the fact that you are a mad axe murderer and have regularly fantasised about bubble baths with Jennifer Aniston... Only kidding old chap. Greetings from Yorkshire, England.

Duncan McGeary said...

Well.....half of that is true.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"have regularly fantasised about bubble baths with Jennifer Aniston"

Well, what the hell, who hasn't?

Carl said...

Past School Sup, Icky Fleming, threatened school teachers who question this guy's hiring. He had more than one skeleton in his closet. Too bad the Bullshittin didn't ask teachers from where he had taught in the past what the real story was. But then, that ould take real investigating and reporting.....

Anonymous said...

I also check to see if the world "blew up" first thing when I get to the computer every morning.

Have been doing that ever since 9/11, frankly.

But unlike you I use Google News. A great way to scan headlines.