Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The story takes over.

I wrote three and a half chapters over the last 4 days, after averaging a chapter every two weeks.

I had a clear shot at it. I knew what the next 4 chapters were going to be about and just went ahead and wrote them.

It's much easier to write once you're this far in. I figure by now, a reader is with me, and I don't have to sweat over every little word. I want to get the plot down as quickly as possible, knowing I will have to go back later to flesh it out.

Once thing I'm hoping I won't have to do, is completely reorganized the book. So far, most of the changes have been little, and can be fixed with simply adding a few paragraphs here in there. More in the way of reconciliation.

It looks now, like I won't have the problem of making such a huge change (discovery) late in the plot that requires a complete overhaul. My first book was harder than hell to fix, my second and third books came easy, my sixth book was rewritten and reorganized so many times I got sick of it, and the seventh book NEEDED a complete reorganization.

After these four chapters are done, I think I'm somewhere between a third and half way through.

I got the premise in place, the characters, the set-up, now I need to plot out the second half.

So I'll be waiting for a big idea, there. Something that really propels me forward.

I've never gotten this far into a book without finishing, so I think it's going to happen.