Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Superhero shows...nothing to do with comics, of course.

I extended my deadline for Tuskers III to a more realistic level, and then took the day off yesterday.  I also pushed back my trip to Baker City to follow the Meek's Cutoff trail until spring, because I'm not ready to write the third Virginia Reed adventure yet.

I also decided I was tired of walking in the heat and would skip a day.

So other than doing a few errands yesterday, I was pretty useless.

Then, just as it was falling dark, I decided to try to get in as much walking as I could.  I jetted out to the Horse Ridge trail, thinking I could follow the flatland part of it for a mile or two before it got dark.  Well, I got in only a mile or so before it got too dark.  I thought the full moon would be enough light to see, but the problem is -- in the desert, everything looks like a trail.

So I went out to the old highway and just started walking.

It was great.  Very refreshing.  75 degrees, completely and utterly silent, and plenty of moonlight.  There is something really peaceful about the darkness.  ("Hello darkness my old friend...")  Just followed my moon shadow, and the white stripes, and didn't see a car for nearly 2 hours.  Because it was a paved surface, I went 5 miles this time.

I'm going to spend more time at Linda's store today putting books away, see if I can't get my paces in that way.

We watched 3 superhero shows in a row last night.  Never thought that would happen.  Not only that, but all three were competently done.

Flash was pretty good.  The main character can act, even if he is a little too emo for me.  (Why are superheroes so emo these days?)

Then watched Agents of Shield.  This seems to be getting lots of criticism, mostly disappointment from the fans, I think, but I rather like it. 

Then another episode of Gotham, also very well done. 

Who would have ever thought?

Of course, it has nothing to do with actual comics...

By that, I mean, it's pretty basic stuff.  Comics have much more depth, in most cases.  And neither T.V. shows or movies seem to move the needle much on sales of comics.

I keep coming back to "They can't hurt" in their effect.  But sadly, I don't know that they help all that much either.

It's a weird disconnect.

The best way I've ever heard it explained is this.  "When you came out of The Unforgiven, was your first impulse to go buy a western novel?"

Like I said, anything that gives our industry credibility is good...lays the groundwork for possible future customers.  Someday, maybe there will be a trigger.

No comments: