Friday, October 3, 2014

Good things come to those who wait.

Oh, sure.  Keep telling yourself that.

Feeling a bit in limbo. The Dead Spend No Gold has been with the publisher for a month, which isn't that long in the scheme of things, especially compared to the old days.  Still, makes me a little uneasy that it hasn't come out yet. (No good reason, the contract is signed.)

Just waiting.

I feel responsible for the sales of my books.  I want my publisher to be happy. When it comes out, I'm going to do my best to get my friends to buy and read it.  Just warning you.

I have another publisher looking at Tuskers.  I was perfectly willing to self-publish Tuskers.  In fact, that was my intention.  But I had an opening, so I took it. (One of the owners had given Led to the Slaughter a good review.)

It is straying off the path I assigned myself.  But sometimes, I believe, you have to stray off the path so that you can find the outlines of the path.  It may be setting myself up for disappointment, but I've decided I can risk the blow to my ego. (Linda is always warning me to watch out for my arrogant mood.  I'm trying, I'm trying to be humble...)

Just waiting.

Meanwhile, having a bit of a hard time at the start of Tuskers III.  I've written about 1500 words a day, instead of my usual 2000 words and beyond.  Again, not that big a deal in the scheme of things.  My pace has been blistering for a couple of years now, and should be no surprise if I slow down.

I thought maybe the month off would rejuvenate me, but instead I think it made me slightly rusty.

I continue to walk as much as I can, and my weight hasn't budged in a couple of weeks, which is disappointing.  Still...sticking to the program.  I'm weirdly disciplined for being such a lazy S.O.B.

Just waiting.

Ordered a cool book from my book distributor, called The Meek Cutoff, which is full of detailed maps.  I plan to diagram a route I can follow, and then stop every ten miles or so and write about what I see.  I'm hoping I can do this before the weather turns.  If I can't get to it, I'll do it in the spring instead.

I'm feeling like the current book is missing some description, so on my walk today I'm going to try to work at adding some sensory material.

Because I plan to make a full push when The Dead Spend No Gold comes out, I've been quiet about it on my social media.  Other than this blog, which is about the nuts and bolts of writing. (And my constant trying to boost my motivation.)

Just waiting.




No comments: