Monday, August 11, 2014

Problem chapter.

I've been happy with the final rewrite of The Dead Spend No Gold so far.

The last version is the one where I finally let go of some things that I've suspected are unnecessary.

Bren's been on me about the way romances play out, and I think I finally got what she was saying.  So I trimmed some of the earlier scenes, made them more subtle.  Several others cuts where the point is implicit and doesn't need to be spelled out.

I'm getting to the point where every scene is the way I want it, and they all fit together to create a satisfying story. 

The writing has been sharpened.

But I did finally run into a problem chapter late in the book.

The final confrontation between the good guys and the bad werewolves, in the middle of which Bigfoot's (Grendel's) mother stomps into.

Complicated action that I didn't fully think through.

So I'm going to block out the action today, and then rewrite the scene to make it better.

I should still be able to finish the whole book by the end of tomorrow to send off to Lara for a clean edit.

I think all the work has paid off, and the book holds together very well.  I'm hoping that everyone who liked Led to the Slaughter will like this book too.

Virginia Reed is a pleasure to write.

No comments: