Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Procrastination city.

I'm really proud of myself for hanging in there and writing my quota of words yesterday.

I spent half the day on store business.  It looks to me that I'll be spending a fair amount of each day of this month on store business.  It's the Christmas season and I want to keep on top of things this year.  Last year, I was deep in writing and I let Christmas happen on autopilot and had a very weak season.

So this year I'm determined to get it back to the previous years levels, which means constant ordering and restocking.

However, after I've spent hours on this kind of activity, when it comes time to write, it just isn't there.  This is just half a day of activity, so it explains all those years when full time work precluded any writing on my part. 

It isn't so much the time, as the focus.

It was procrastination city, yesterday.

So I sat myself down mid-afternoon and wrote 500 words.  That was it.  Nothing else came.

So I sat myself down at around 6:00 and tried again, this time nothing.

So I sat myself down at 9:30 and finally the words flowed.  Finished up at midnight with the proper number of words.  Even more importantly, I liked what I wrote.

Having the whole day to devote to writing is a huge luxury.  Working at the store, and then giving myself the time to write, is harder.  It's more or less OK if I give up any other activity I might engage in, but requires a dedication to dead time that can feel like I'm wasting time.

But it isn't wasted if the results come in.


No comments: