Thursday, February 3, 2011

Glued to the T.V.

I came home a little early from work yesterday, and turned on the boob tube to catch some news on Egypt.

MSNBC had a perch on a balcony overlooking the overpasses that led to the protester's square.

There was a running battle for a couple of hours. Molotov cocktails, burning cars, rocks, clubs, swords.

Very difficult to discern what's going on.

But totally riveting.

I felt as though I was watching -- live -- a historical event, like the Russian revolution, or something.

Turning the channel, we had Anderson Cooper seemingly cowering in some basement-- hey, I'd cower too if I'd been set on by a mob.

Fox was seemingly ignoring it -- I don't think they know what stance to take.

Back to MSNBC, watching from the balcony. It finally got light, and everything seemed to simmer down a little.

MSNBC started to show reruns of the previous action. They showed a guy throwing a molotov, it landing and spinning and skipping and strewing fire, like a skipping rock on water.

And then they showed it again. And again. And again.

Went away for a couple hours, came back, and they were showing it again. And again.

Hey, I liked watching live, even if nothing was necessarily happening every minute. It didn't need to be ginned up like a action flick.

Oh, well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that Anderson Cooper really needs defending, but I've seen some annoying stuff today (like Huffington Post headline Anderson Cooper: 'I'm Scared'. Read the story, he says, "I don't mind saying I'm a bit scared." Typical HuffPo bullshit headline).

This is a guy who's braced paramilitary thugs in the Congo and accused them of rape. He's got guts. Being attacked by a mob is one of the most primally terrifying things that can happen to a person. It happened to him twice.

He and the other journalists reporting from a secure location are being prudent. Western news crews are under real, credible threat of murder at the hands of a mob. They damn well should be hunkering down.