Monday, February 21, 2011

Drawing lines in the sand.

I'm purposely drawing some lines in the sand.

A few years back, I decided that I wouldn't play video games. Not because I didn't think I would like them but because I thought I might like them too much. (My wife was convinced I would enjoy a Wi i; but I've played it once or twice, and decided it was a complete waste of time.)

Denying myself the pleasures? Why would I do that?

I think I feel that modern life is diluting experiences. Breaking them down into smaller and smaller, shallower and shallower experiences.

Like my reaction to speed reading. Why would I do that? I enjoy reading too much.

I decided in business to draw the line at electronics -- I did bring in anime, which proved to be a mistake because it held within it's customer base the earliest of early adopters. It made it easy to decide never to carry electronic gaming in my store -- I make the joke, "One more product line and my brain explodes!"

So I'm sticking with books. No kind of e-reader.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be like me. I don't doubt that the younger generation are incorporating the changes faster than I am.

But I still like curling up every night with my book and dissolving into a story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet another reason to value actual books: marginalia

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/books/21margin.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Anonymous said...

I've done similar. I drew a line at weapons (i.e. swords and knives) and energy drinks.

I just thought they had pitfalls that I did not want to deal with.

Brett
Heroes Haven