Sunday, December 26, 2010

What's the Appeal?

I seem to be immune to the charms of video games. I mean, I must really be missing some gene that appreciates them.

I've checked out World of Warcraft, we have a new Wii, and...nothing. Not interested. Todd and Sarah played a couple of hours of Wii last night, and it seemed....I don't know, pointless. I'd much rather read a book.

I think the Quest games or the shooter games seem like a giant waste of time. I like the strategic games a bit better, but I like them crude. Hell, I like Solitaire.

It's the same shrug -- what's the appeal? -- feeling I get with "Reality" T.V. Totally boring to me -- I've tried The Great Race, Survivor, and so on, and again...all I see is a bunch of narcissistic people doing pointless things.

Same thing with situation comedies, though some of the very best I can watch if I have to. But I can't get over the artificiality of the situations. Most soap opera T.V. also bug me -- E.R. or NYPD Blue type shows.

I like genre T.V. Mysteries and S.F., just as I do in my reading.

I can watch hours of junk T.V. like Myth Busters and those lousy history channels programs on Rome and Egypt and all that Alexander the Great and Caesar crap. (Most of them really aren't all that well done or telling me anything I don't already know.)

And I can watch C-Span Book T.V. all day long.

I don't know. Maybe I just want my entertainment to have some content. Video games and reality T.V. seem contentless to me.

No comments: