Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The pace of change.

Just keeps speeding up.

Borders is talking about buying out Barnes and Noble; which once upon a time would have been a monopolistic concern, but nowadays, probably would be allowed by the Powers that Be.

Do two weakened giants -- one strong giant make?

Meanwhile, Diamond has sketched out an initiative where comic shops would sell digital comics.

My initial reaction was. No.

I don't see how this can work.

I don't see my wanting to do this. It isn't what I bought into when I started working here. It sounds both unnecessary and ...well, boring. Just boring. Here -- push a button. Yuch.

But my second reaction was -- I doubt it will really become an issue. For one thing, if Diamond rolls out this program at their usual glacial speed, I can start worrying about this in a few years.

I'm near enough to the end of my career, that a whole lot of concerns that I might once have had, are a little less pressing these days. If I owned a bookstore or comic shop while still in my 20's or 30's, or even 40's, it would be completely different.

Then again, there is the above stated Pace of Change -- which is astonishing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Duncan! Is tonight the right Tuesday because if it is i will be there with 5 or so copies of my second chapter. Let me know, xruachx@yahoo.com or just post a comment on my blog. Look forward to hearing from you.

Duncan McGeary said...

2nd and 4th Tuesdays.

So, no...