Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hits and misses.

I've become totally addicted to the premium cable shows, True Blood and Dexter.

See, I missed The Sopranos. I caught one hour of it,once, and it was one of the best things I'd ever seen, so I know I'd like it. I haven't wanted to watch the bowdlerized versions, and haven't quite had the time to rent the entire seasons.

True Blood has one of the best depictions of addiction I've ever seen: the drug pusher is not standing on the corner with a sign around his neck saying, "Hey, Kid. You want a taste?"

No, he's a friendly kind of guy, charming, letting yourself talk yourself into it, with a few well placed bon mots.

But I have to admit, I'm getting a little tired of the 'stupid people acting stupid' southern gothic, Flannery O'Conner, atmosphere.

Dexter is a great show, too. The only real difference between what I saw last year on network is that the swear words aren't dubbed and -- like True Blood -- there is some nudity. Can't see much difference besides that.

So far this year, I've been trying out the new shows Fringe, which I'm getting very disappointed in, Life on Mars, which has great supporting actors and a bland lead, and -- I'm sorry, just completely missing the tone and feel of the early 70's. We taped the Mentalist and the 11th Hour, and have only this week gotten around to watching them.

The Mentalist is the real keeper, this year. Like the show, Life, it has a low-key charm, but rises and falls on its weekly plots. (last week was a clunker.)

11th Hour is kind of strange. More straightforward than I expected. Actually better than Fringe, in most ways, but I'm not quite hooked. I'll give a couple more episodes.

For existing shows, I'm continuing with Life, whose lite charm is starting to run thin, CSI: L.V. (the other CSI's are unwatchable); Heroes, which seems to be all over the place; House, the one show that seems to keep its quality up, with House being a bigger bastard than ever; Sarah Conner, Terminator, which isn't the big surprise it was last year, but still pretty good. And of course I'll watch Battlestar Galactica and Lost if they ever show up again. I've given up on everything else.

3 comments:

nelsoneroni said...

Battlestar Galactica's final season starts January 16th!

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Jen F said...

We're enjoying watching LOST again on SciFi... I didn't see most of Season 1 so it's good to know some of the back stories that were missed.

Anonymous said...

Oh well now -- Battlestar Galactica. Best thing about moving to Bend is that Bend Broadband gives it up in High-Def, whereas tired-ass old Time Warner where we came from has SciFi channel in only standard def. Most everything on the SciFi channel is totally embarrassingly bad crap, but Battlestar . . . come January 16 the Missus and I will be sitting on the sofa with a bag of microwave popcorn.