Monday, June 16, 2008

"Shops at the Old Fair District."

What they're calling a new development in Redmond. Too cute. (Of course, the remnant teenage part of my brain immediately translated that into, "Shops at the Old Fart District.")

The Bulletin article today about Redmond, "Retail Growth in Moderation," is as interesting for what it doesn't say, as for what it does say.

But first, I want to admit that I thought the 'Shops in the Old Mill District' in Bend wouldn't work; but maybe I was....wr...wr..wro...wrong, there I said it. The timing was right, and they had the huge boost of a surge from 2004 to 2007 to finish it off. A bit of luck, and a bit of good planning. A great location. They got the "infill" (my new favorite jargon word) they needed. And, silly as I think it is to glamorized Old Mills, the right concept.

I got a comment this morning about why anyone would buy comics, cards, toys, books and games from (I can't find where the comment landed, so this is from memory) "old, tired shop in a side street in a rundown building?"

I made a joke a while back, referring to my store just that way; but I meant it as irony. That may have been the way I once thought of it, but with the landlord rejuvenating the front of the store, the store redesign, a fully stocked store, "infill" all around my shop with fancy stores, and mostly a revitalized downtown, it certainly isn't my perception now. I'd have to say from the comments of customers, that isn't their perception either. And after visiting a bunch of other downtowns, I haven't seen any that look as good as downtown Bend right now, maybe Ashland.

Indeed, I think my little corner is getting more actual foot traffic than just about anywhere in Central Oregon -- maybe only Wall Street gets more traffic. We still have a bunch of "infill" taking place around my store. It's only going to get better. So my location isn't a problem.

As far as the product: sure, if you can find them at the chain stores. My store has become so unique and specialized, at the same time diversified, that I'm not really competing one on one with the chain store anymore. I'm either selling you a comic or toy or book you're unlikely to find anywhere else without it being more trouble than it's worth, or a nifty impulse item to someone walking around.

Anyway, back to the article in the paper. I seem to remember the WalMart assuring us that they wouldn't leave empty shells when they expanded into SuperWalmart, but that's exactly what they did. Which the new owners are having trouble developing. Something to think about here in Bend.

"Most of the national retailers are taking a pause and collecting their thoughts before moving forward...." Words that smaller shops ought to contemplate.

I'm wondering how long a lull there is going to be before "infill" starts up again, and whether it will come in time to help both Bend (places like N.W. Crossing) and Redmond.

I have a vivid memory of development slowing to a dead crawl; not even that, probably backward, for most of the 80's. We've gotten a lot bigger since then, so I don't expect that, except in patches. But it could happen.

No comments: