Friday, June 6, 2008

4th Ed. D & D.

When I first started working at Pegasus in 1980, D & D was a pretty big deal. I remember we sold a lot of it; we had a room in back where people could play. Then it fell off my radar for some reason. I think it stopped selling quite so well during the Reagan recession, Mike shrank the store back and stopped supporting it as much.

By the time I bought the store in 1984, D & D had been neglected for a couple of years. I tried my damnest to bring it back; but Book and Game opened in the Mt. View Mall that Christmas and blew me out of the water.

Every time I had the inclination to go back into games, something would knock me back down again.

When Pokemon took off, Wizards of the Coast used some of those windfall profits to buy D & D (which was a pale ghost of it's former self) and began to prop it up and revive it. By then Gambit was open in downtown Bend, so I skipped 3rd Ed, the reintroduction of the classic D & D game; I also missed the 3.5 rejuvenation.

So I have no idea what to expect. I heard -- and in Bend, it may not have happened quite this way -- that both Editions sold extremely well.

I've probably over-ordered the 4th Ed., which is coming in today. If everyone who asked plus a few come in, I'll be fine. Otherwise, I may have a half year worth of product. But I didn't want to get caught short.

I'm also getting a restock of my boardgames today, and because of the reorganization, I actually have a place to display them.

Kind of exciting, and another kick-off (following FCBD and Iron Man) to summer. Things seem to be clicking...

Knock wood.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'll be curious to see how well it does with a younger crowd, that seems to be what they're gearing their marketing towards.

I may have to stop in at some point and check it out, at the very least. There was a leak out on the Internet last week and a lot of people downloaded the book PDFs illegally. Hopefully this won't impact your sales of it. :(

Duncan McGeary said...

Elizabeth, this might be a really good time to connect some people for groups. Had a guy come in yesterday and put up a sign up list. Maybe if we can get three or four groups up and going, people will sort themselves out.

If nothing else, I should be getting some lookeyloos'.