Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Into the Current.

This is the week I think of as 'transition week.' Kids are out of school, switching families, going on quick vacations, making plans. Sunday and Monday were very slow. All that will probably change by the weekend. With any luck, we won't be getting anymore extreme weather changes, either.

Anyway, I feel like I've safely delivered Pegasus to the center of the stream. Now all I really have to do is let the current take hold. The next 8 weeks will be busier no matter what. Just go along for the ride.

I managed, somewhat to my surprise, to make just one small reorder this week. It helped that Sunday and Monday and the beginning of Tuesday were so slow. If I get through the first half of Wednesday, without breaking down, then I've fulfilled my business plan for the spring.

I'm narrowing my focus to the next 8 weeks. Take a notebook page, put the total budget for the week on top of the page, and start subtracting as I spend down. When I hit zero, stop. Sounds simple. But I have a tendency to make small little adjustments, and not count them, and I'm not going to let myself do that. I tend to let myself take advantage of opportunities, sudden discounts and such; and I can't do that.

Finding roof tiles in my garden (the ravens are busy) has reminded me that I need to save up for home repairs. There isn't going to be any credit available for that. The HELOC is gone. But the wonderful zero balances on my credit cards will mean any money I make this summer can go into savings.

It's only 8 weeks, I tell myself. I'm going to keep my option of skipping a week somewhere in those 8 weeks, depending. I'll know it when I see it. Anyway, the hard work is done. Now I just have to be careful not the fall back.

No comments: