Friday, April 20, 2012

Why the change?

Damn Blogger.  Making changes that I'll be damned if I can see are any improvement.  In fact, the thing adds steps and gives me nothing in return that I can see.

For instance....How do I know if there are any comments about a blog post?



Later:  after experimenting, it turns out if I press the "close" button, it goes to a part of the site where I can then go to comments, which I can then click to see if there are any comments.  (At least two extra steps...)

Real intuitive.  Press "close."  ?????

There seems to be no easy step back to the original blog.

Why do they insist on messing with things?

I suppose you readers don't see anything different, but it bugs me.

They recently made some changes in the Diamond site, and I've so far identified exactly one thing that seems to be an improvement, and a dozen things that seem to have added steps.

It's probably got some capabilities that I simply don't use.   Arrggghh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long ago it was established in technology "If it works, don't fix it",...

Trouble is that young-in's are always coming in, and old ones are always leaving, thus there is change.

I concur, the new look to google and google/mail, ... blogger, for what? For the simple fact that they don't give a flying fuck about the established base ( old farts like you and me ), they only care about attracting MORE&MORE stiff's to spy-on. Keeping your email, your buying habits, and your blogging is big biz in the TIA ( total information awareness ) on all humanity.

Probably the only good thing about the change that bothers you is if they were smart and followed "if it work don't fix it", then they probably would eventually succeed, but as we all know if you continually tinker you end up with a tower-of-babel and eventually the whole fucking 'system' implodes in incompetence.

Thus there is good in the fact that they simply can't leave alone that which works.

Helen said...

Somehow i got automatically switched as well ..this morning I clicked on that little wheel top right, got the option to revert to old format ~~ it worked!!

Duncan McGeary said...

Thanks, Helen.

Immediately switched back.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Why do they insist on messing with things?"

It's the nature of geeks. They've got to twiddle around with stuff. It's in their DNA. If it ain't broke they screw around with it until it is, and then they fix it.

Duncan McGeary said...

This must be the month for changes, because now Salon has switched, joining Diamond and Blogger.

Leave it alone, guys!