Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Nothing is lost, everything is lost.

There is a singer I liked way back in the '60's that seemed to drop from sight. Eric Andersen. A few years ago, I looked him up online, but either there wasn't much there yet or my google powers were weak.

Anyway, I tried again last night. (Levon Helm to Rick Danko to Eric Andersen.)

This time, there were a ton of video's on Youtube, and I spent the evening listening to tracks.

I wonder if some folks won't have a career revival. I mean, none of the video's had more than 20 or 30k worth of hits, and most had much less. But there were a number of comments like mine from people re-finding Eric Andersen.

(It happened in a very small way with my books, which by now have been so long out of print that the likelihood of tripping over them in a bookstore was slim. Instead, there's hundreds of listings online. People have e-pirated the books, but I've let that go.)

So nothing is lost.

On the other hand, there is so much material at there that everything is lost -- at least, the way a drop of water is lost in an ocean. But at least you can find the drop of water if you're looking for it.

**********

Woke up this morning and Linda was marking up my book.

"I hope you don't mind my marking up your book so much."

"No. I'm glad you're doing it."

I really don't seem to take offense at critique nowadays -- I remember how hard it was to take at the first of my writing career, but now I just appreciate the help. There is a point earlier in the process where it could discourage me from continuing, but not this far along.

Even if I disagree with a correction, I can often use the input to spark something else. It's something to work off of.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for all the critiques, so I'm going to just commit to the second book for awhile.

**********

My Dad is being moved into a higher level of care, which means moving him physically from his room to another.

I've mentioned that he's a Hoarder. All he can hoard these days is paper; some clothing; some knickknacks here and there and so on.

But while looking for his lost keys last night it occurred to me that the Movers we hire to transfer him may want to ask for hazard pay.

The question is -- do I buy him a new table or bookcase? He's got a cardboard box as a table, and his couch is completely covered in books and magazines.

But even if I do, will he use them? Won't we probably just be in the same place?

If we clean and organize, I know from past experience it will look exactly the same in another few months. So just transferring everything exactly the way it is, mess and all, might be easier for him.

Except, I know it won't. He'll still lose things in transition and be certain that he was robbed. Hoarding and dementia are a bad combination.

It's probably a no win situation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Levon Helms is awesome, and same for Danko, but eric? Please dunc, go back to Englebert or stick with comics.

A nation that has nothing, but thinks it has something is more than just lost, its Bend Fucked (tm) .

Next you'll be telling us about Bobby Sherman, or the Monkeys.

Levon Helms is still alive and does great work, Danko died in the 70's on a drug OD. Helms throws a party every new-year for $500 bucks anyone welcome at his personal residence. Maybe you take linda sometime for a real NY New Year celebration?

Anonymous said...

Everything is lost, I just read that Dick Clark died today from a post 4 hour erection.

Dick fucking Clark, ... shit everything is lost.

Duncan McGeary said...

Well, what you love at 16, you love forever.

They Go in 3's. Dick Clark, Levon Helm (may he have a miraculous recovery) and....?

Anonymous said...

It's Levon Helm and he's dead.

Anonymous said...

levon helms is dead today

Greg Ham ( men at war ) was found dead today,.. happy 3