Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday suds.

Saw "Cabin in the Woods", of which the less I say, the better for you guys. Myself -- I purposely avoided all trailers and reviews, because my mind can't help but start puzzling them out.

It's one of those films you laugh at, and then look around to make sure no one thinks you're weird for laughing. Gory, and tongue in cheek. It just keeps ramping up.

There is one scene, near the end, which I can't wait to freeze frame at home someday so I can count all the ways of weird mayhem therein contained in one scene.

**********

Finally saw "Green Lantern", and I plead guilty to the same fault of not going to see it in the theater that I accuse other of: -- how can we expect more of these movies to be made if we don't go see them?

It was fun, but I can kind of see why it wasn't a big hit. Ironically, it was one of those rare films that the fanboys liked, because it was fairly true to the comic, but the public didn't. Usually it seems like it's the other way around.

I liked the Science-fiction elements, and would love to see a movie someday that utilizes those kinds of special effects for a galactic empire story.

**********

I'm happy for Joss Whedon, (Cabin in the Woods writer/producer and Avengers writer/director) and maybe he'll get a few more greenlights from here on out, and maybe the Suits won't be in such a hurry to cancel him.

I spent several years trying to convince people that Buffy was smart, not dumb. When Firefly came out, I couldn't seem to find anyone watching the first run. When Serenity came out, it seemed like every likely person I talked to wasn't going.

These became 'cult' classics after their first runs, but even adding these shows to Buffy wasn't a clincher. Dollhouse was a bit of dud. I liked parts of it, but...

Anyway, now I can point to a couple of other accomplishments by Whedon, instead of the eye-rolling I used to get (and still get) about Buffy and Angel.

**********

I dreamed all night about this blockwide building that I was negotiating to buy or lease to put in a giant bookstore. It just go bigger and junkier as the night went on. The owner was slippery and wouldn't give me a firm answer.

Linda says, "You want the perfect bookstore and there isn't such a thing."

**********

I'll tell you what. If I was ever interested in having a full-line new independent bookstore, the recent actions by the DOJ to let Amazon loose on prices would be enough to change my mind. I hope everyone enjoys those lower prices while the infrastructure is still intact, because I can't see the middle holding.

**********

I really liked this line from local blogger 'Bend or Bust':

"Two of the richest companies in the world (Apple and Facebook) needed tax breaks from one of the poorest counties in Oregon in order to build there."

Perfectly stated.

Well almost perfect. I would have said "wanted" tax breaks; "begged" or "held hostage" or "demanded" or ... well, you get the gist.

Then again, "needed" is more ironic.

**********

A suggestion for the 'local businessmen' who want the Parks and Rec to build a 12 hole golf course for the public.

I'm betting one of the current 30 golf courses would be more than happy to sell out to you...

**********

"The Secret World Arrietty" is coming out on DVD.

When I watched this in the theater, I kept thinking my Mom would have loved it. It was the best depiction of a garden I've ever seen -- live or cartoon. She would have objected going to a cartoon, but I might have been able to convince her because it was based on a well-loved children's book we had in the house: The Borrowers.

It's from Studio Ghibli, and while it isn't Miyazaki, it was so Miyazaki-like as to make little difference.

4 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Saw "Cabin in the Woods", of which the less I say, the better for you guys."

I glanced at the book when it was a big deal. Immediately saw it was just the usual theistic pap in a new package -- "It's God's will, you can't understand it, you just have to accept it."

Whatta load of hooey.

Duncan McGeary said...

H.Bruce.

I know what you're thinking of...but this is a different thing altogether. Similar titles.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Oh. My mistake. Sorry.

H. Bruce Miller said...

I'm thinking of "The Shack." A little surprised they haven't made a movie of that yet.