Monday, April 30, 2012

Perfect gardening weather. Is dangerous.

I was digging through my yucca's, and I felt a really sharp pain in my little finger. A thorn or bristle had hit a nerve. But there was nothing there. Then I wondered if I'd been bitten by something.

Anyway, it hurt all day, but it never got red or swelled up, but looked normal. It just hurt.

Arthritis? I wondered.

Woke up this morning and it was itching like crazy. So, yeah, I poked a nerve with something. But there isn't a mark on me.

(No -- I don't wear gloves. Gardening with gloves is like making love with a prophylactic...)


Anyway, I've decided to garden every day, at least a little, and like last year try not to burn myself out doing it. I'm starting on the side of the house, the place I usually get to last every year. Out of sight, out of mind. But it's also the worst place to work in the hot weather, so it makes sense to do it now, even if it isn't as satisfying.

The yucca's in the berm on the other side of the house have proliferated, so I'm going to transplant some to the other side and see if they take. They are the least maintenance plants I have.

I enjoy the process of gardening, but at the same time, I wish I had a magic wand and could get the garden the way I want it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a thorn in a finger last year, and it hurt for almost a whole month.

Finally went to the doctor and he suggested maybe I had hit a nerve.